Calcium Needs?

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
i was told to use a small pinch of calcium on Skurts food once a week when he came home which I have faithfully done, but he won’t touch it! I mix it in with his favorite foods like Mazuri or fruit hoping to mask it but he’ll take one bite and run to his water bowl for a drink then back to his hide. I use a tiiiiiny pinch mixed in very well but to no avail he detects it every time meaning he fasts that day and isn’t getting his calcium. He does get a very varied diet and has fresh weeds 7 months out of the year but is this enough? How do you guys sneak it past them?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Mine won't touch it either if I just sprinkle it on top of his food. I have to sprinkle it on then thoroughly mix it around in a bowl. I think this masks the odor better then when its just on top. If I'm not mistaken Mazuri has calcium in it, you don't have to add it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I sprinkle it on to wet leaves then mist it with water again.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Do you offer a cuttlebone? Another method could be grinding up cooked eggshells and sprinkling it in the food.

daniellenc

Maryland
I do as well mix/wet and it’s a no go. I have diet alone isn’t enough though even with Mazuri.

daniellenc

Maryland
Do you offer a cuttlebone? Another method could be grinding up cooked eggshells and sprinkling it in the food.

He has a cuttlebone but other than plowing over it I’ve never seen him gnaw on it. Ground eggshells are a no go as well. He gets natural sun time 7 months out of the year but I fear he’s not getting the calcium he needs with sun and food alone.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I would assume that if he begins to develop a "shortage" of calcium then he will begin to crave it and feed willingly from the cuttlebone or supplement dosed food.
There are several plants that are good sources of calcium- unless I'm mistaken a few of them are Opuntia, mulberry leaves, hibiscus, plantain, and hostas.