Rep-Cal calcium powder

babytortie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I just got the rep-cal calcium powder w/ vit D and as I was about to use it, I read the dosage instructions on the back say to mix it with the Herptivite vitamin supplement. Since I didn't buy the Herptivite vitamin (didn't know I'd have to mix this w/calcium), is it ok to use the calcium on it's own? Or do I need to buy the herptivite vitamins as well? Are the vitamins essential as well?... and if so, I will buy it.

Also, the dosage amount on calcium says 1/2 tablespoon per 1 lb of food...but, I assume that since my baby sully is not eating 1 lb of food (yet!), I can just sprinkle a pinch of the powder on his greens? I don't want to overdose him but I also don't want to use too little.

Thanks!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
No vitamins are really necessary, unless you tort is ill and needs supplements. Mix in the calcium really well, they won;t eat it if they small any :D

G-dog

Oklahoma
Is calcium powered necessary if my sulata hatchling eats it's cuttlebone, which it seems to love. I've read that too much calcium can be bad.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is calcium powered necessary if my sulata hatchling eats it's cuttlebone, which it seems to love. I've read that too much calcium can be bad.

This is debatable, but I think most people would agree that if your sulcata is regularly munching on cuttle bone, then you probably do not need to supplement with additional powdered calcium. I think diet might be a factor too. If your are using mostly grocery store greens, I might still give a small pinch of Rep-Cal once in a while.