Miner-All questions

Meganolvt

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Wondering if I should be using this for my rock eating yellowfoot. I currently use calcium powder and Herptivite, should I be switching to Miner-All or adding it in? It also contains calcium, so would I stop the seperate calcium powder? Would I still need Herptivite? Thanks for any advice.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I don't see any harm in switching out your other supplements for miner-al for a few months to try. I wouldn't use them all together though - that seems like too much.

I have heard it discussed before with yellowfoots that their rock eating isn't necessarily a symptom of deficiency as it is in other species but more trying to fill their natural seed eating urge. Yellowfoots are big seed redistributors in the wild and I have heard it speculated that their digestive works best with seeds in it. Is this true? I have no idea. Does your tortoise have semi-regular access to fruit with swallowable (and passable) seeds? If not, maybe try adding a weekly passionfruit (or something similar) to your diet to see if the seeds fill the void of the rocks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd use the Miner-All by itself, 3 times a week, for a couple of weeks. After that cut it down to two times a week, and add in one day of calcium and one day of vitamins.

This is my general recommendation.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wondering if I should be using this for my rock eating yellowfoot. I currently use calcium powder and Herptivite, should I be switching to Miner-All or adding it in? It also contains calcium, so would I stop the seperate calcium powder? Would I still need Herptivite? Thanks for any advice.

Because it is difficult for us as keepers to provide all the seeded foods that YFs normally eat, they tend to eat small rocks and pebbles. This is normal for YF tortoises. When you feed him fruit like cantaloupe, include the seeds. I'm not scientific enough to know exactly why YF tortoises need seeds, but if we don't provide them, the tortoise will eat rocks.

HenleyT

Albuquerque, NM
I'd use the Miner-All by itself, 3 times a week, for a couple of weeks. After that cut it down to two times a week, and add in one day of calcium and one day of vitamins.

This is my general recommendation.
My tort, Henley, has been moved into a new indoor enclosure....he is trying to eat....chew on the large rocks. I have read, I believe in one of your post, that this can usually be stopped in most salcuta torts by giving them the MinerALL....I am purchasing it today and I will follow your advise as to how to feed it to him....my question is since the MinerAll has calcium is that enough calcium? and can I use the Vit ALL for the vitamins or do you recommend something else that you prefer?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would start by using a pinch of Miner-All three times a week for a couple of weeks and no other supplements. Then got to twice a week on the mineral and once a week on the calcium, or just offer a cuttle bone for calcium. Vitamins are optional and to be honest, I rarely use them anymore because I feed such a wide variety of other good foods.

HenleyT

Albuquerque, NM
I would start by using a pinch of Miner-All three times a week for a couple of weeks and no other supplements. Then got to twice a week on the mineral and once a week on the calcium, or just offer a cuttle bone for calcium. Vitamins are optional and to be honest, I rarely use them anymore because I feed such a wide variety of other good foods.
Thank you so much...another question is that someone said that they use TNT probiotics? Your thoughts????