Newbie Set Up

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I guess it wasn't a "UK thing". It's a ceiling/wall light intended to be connected with the room wiring through the terminal block. But you are right, it's not hard to connect a power cable with a plug the same way. However, return and rre-order can be cheaper and faster if there are no "older persons" nearby :)

Yes, this specific light is made for direct wire. The point was that significantly more 40+ year old people in UK would know how to wire a plug onto a cord than in USA or most other countries.

@1:35

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes, this specific light is made for direct wire. The point was that significantly more 40+ year old people in UK would know how to wire a plug onto a cord than in USA or most other countries.

@1:35

I don’t really have family around, or many people at all actually, so usually have to do what I can myself or pay people to help. So it’s much easier for me to return and buy another one that’s ready to go 😊

_The_Beast_

Canada
I don’t really have family around, or many people at all actually, so usually have to do what I can myself or pay people to help. So it’s much easier for me to return and buy another one that’s ready to go 😊
This would be my exact reaction: Nope! Return and try again. That said, really really good example of well it's really great to get your enclosure set up before your hatchling arrives ☺️ Can't wait for the next update, you're doing really great!

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
The new plug in LED lamp and coffee cup hooks have arrived, as has my first ever drill!

What's the best layout for the lighting in a 4ft by 1.5ft vivarium please? (yes I'll be increasing the size once the hatchling grows bigger)

I'm thinking LED and UVB together across the centre?

Should the basking bulb be at the opposite end to the hide?

Want to get the placement right!

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
Also, I feel like I must be stupid… but for the life of me I can’t work out how to get these brackets on the Arcadia bulb holder. I’ve pushed so hard to get them to click on that I’ve scratched the metal, but they won’t go on!

Attachments

• IMG_2391.jpeg
    IMG_2391.jpeg
    924.8 KB · Views: 2

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The new plug in LED lamp and coffee cup hooks have arrived, as has my first ever drill!

What's the best layout for the lighting in a 4ft by 1.5ft vivarium please? (yes I'll be increasing the size once the hatchling grows bigger)

I'm thinking LED and UVB together across the centre?

Should the basking bulb be at the opposite end to the hide?

Want to get the placement right!

The basking and UVB bulbs should be next to each other on 1 end. The LED can be in center or slightly towards the non-basking side.

Also, I feel like I must be stupid… but for the life of me I can’t work out how to get these brackets on the Arcadia bulb holder. I’ve pushed so hard to get them to click on that I’ve scratched the metal, but they won’t go on!

This might help. It should be easier once the clip is mounted.

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
The basking bulb spot is too hot :( I tried switching to a 50w bulb and it's still 42 degrees celcius. I physically can't get the bulb any higher in the viv. What do I do?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
The basking bulb spot is too hot :( I tried switching to a 50w bulb and it's still 42 degrees celcius. I physically can't get the bulb any higher in the viv. What do I do?
Can you find a smaller watt bulb?

_The_Beast_

Canada
How deep is the substrate in that area and overall? If you can share: Height from floor/bottom of viv (no substrate) to the bottom of the bulb and also height from bulb to substrate (eventually measurement is from the shell but this will help with brainstorming).

How's humidity at this stage of practicing?

I ended up with the opposite problem and created an incline to raise the basking area and lower the cooler side. I was able to do this while still keep a good amount of substrate to burrow in.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
How are you measuring the temperature?

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
How deep is the substrate in that area and overall? If you can share: Height from floor/bottom of viv (no substrate) to the bottom of the bulb and also height from bulb to substrate (eventually measurement is from the shell but this will help with brainstorming).

I ended up with the opposite problem and created an incline to raise the basking area and lower the cooler side. I was able to do this while still keep a good amount of substrate to burrow in.
I haven’t checked humidity yet, basking bulb temperature was first on my checklist! Overall substrate is 4inches but I’ve kept it flatter that end and it’s still only 20cm from the bulb. Height from floor to ceiling before substrate was 41.5cm

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
Etekcity infrared gun

Humidity currently 99% but haven’t got the bulbs on at the moment and not long added the coco coir which was mixed with warm water so that’s obviously added to it a lot. It was like a sauna adding it in!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I am not so knowledgeable on the light deal, all mine go outside. But maybe the 25 watt one will have to do. Hopefully some better help will respond.