Newbie Set Up

Kala

Location (City and/or State)
Sittingbourne, Kent
Oh that's too bad. They were good while they lasted!

Sometimes I dig up and turn over the substrate to help with humidity since the top layer dries out but there's still lots of water/moisture below. In the early days I did this once a week but since I blocked some vents on the viv I don't need to do it very often anymore as it holds humidity a lot better now. I don't think it's mandatory or anything, just a thing that has been helpful to keep the top layer from getting too dry or dusty.
Sounds like a great idea!

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
This could be just a bad luck.. These ramps can survive even in redfoots' enclosures. Maybe you can get new one and bake it in the oven to kill any "hostile lifeforms".
I once had two terracotta saucers - one with green mold and other with black mold. Didn't even know this could happen :)
Ahh that’s good to know, I’ll replace it then 😊

_The_Beast_

Canada
In other news… he’s no longer afraid of his wheel and is loving it! 🥰 I tried to attach a little video but think I only have the option of photos
Yes!!! That's amazing!!!! I'm living for all these wheel success stories. Isn't it just the cutest activity to watch? Those stumpy little legs doing their best 🥰

I recommend setting up an instagram page so that WL's account to follow yours and get all the cuteness XD No idea how to post videos to the forum.... some people post on youtube and link it but I'm not sure if all account can post videos or if you need a special kind of account... @Alex and the Redfoot do you know?

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
I didn’t even realise there was a paid membership option! Daughter is desperate to set up an Instagram page so I’ll make it a priority over the Easter holidays 😊

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
How warm does it need to be to let him have a little roam outside? Safely of course, not wild and free!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
On a bright sunny day, I think 65F is a safe margin for a baby. They are small and cool down quickly. You may provide him a piece of dark slate to bask and some shady hide. Keep a temp gun nearby and watch him, if he slows down, tries to hide and burrow - time to go home. Give him a warm soak after walk. I would limit walks to 30 minutes now... But that's just my estimate (I don't keep russians and not very familiar with UK climate).

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
On a bright sunny day, I think 65F is a safe margin for a baby. They are small and cool down quickly. You may provide him a piece of dark slate to bask and some shady hide. Keep a temp gun nearby and watch him, if he slows down, tries to hide and burrow - time to go home. Give him a warm soak after walk. I would limit walks to 30 minutes now... But that's just my estimate (I don't keep russians and not very familiar with UK climate).
Thanks again! It’s definitely not warm enough here yet, it’s still barely 54 degrees most days. Hoping Spring will arrive in style soon with some glorious sunny days!

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
Thinking about buying one of these for the Viv and attempting to use an upturned wire basket to stop him from eating it all at once. Would plants grown in peat free organic compost be safe?

Attachments

• IMG_2618.png
    IMG_2618.png
    712.6 KB · Views: 3

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
As I understand, the main problem with bagged soils and compost is that you can't be sure about contents: it may contain toxic plants leftovers, pesticides, herbicides and so on. E.g. oleander is toxic and 100% organic. I doubt that complex chemicals like plant toxins will be absorbed and deposited in plants growing on compost, though.

Perhaps, would be safer to get some dirt from the yard and fertilize it.

_The_Beast_

Canada
I just started growing plants from seeds so I could be sure they were safe. You might have better luck making a new post in the enclosure or food focused sub-forums to draw in the bio-active and plant growing forum members. I've read six months growth in controlled environments is a safe length of time before feeding but have no expertise in this area.

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
Hi all! Minty seems very happy! Eating well, healthy poop (no sign of worms now but have de-worming treatment on standby), enjoying his baths (but only for 10 minutes then becomes agitated) and absolutely LOVING his wheel! 😍

I’m just a little concerned that his pyramiding seems to be worsening even though I’m doing everything I should… maybe I’m just noticing it more, I’m not sure.

Do you think it looks particularly bad?

Attachments

• IMG_2744.jpeg
    IMG_2744.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It doesn't look really worse (I'm comparing to earlier photos, but they are made from different angle and with different lightning).

But you may double check temperatures under ceramic heat emitter and basking lamp - put something "tortoise high" under them and thermometer probe on top for 1 hour.

_The_Beast_

Canada
For WL, it took a couple months to see new smooth growth and the scutes down the middle of the shell are the slowest to show change. If humidity, baths, temps, etc., are good, then its just time. I also do weekly measurements and weigh ins, and over three months I've seen about 3 cm new growth long and another 3cm wide and the new growth is way smoother than the previous growth. It helps me manage my expectations about how soon I'll see changes as well.

Edit to add: are they sleeping in their humid hide at night?

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
It doesn't look really worse (I'm comparing to earlier photos, but they are made from different angle and with different lightning).

But you may double check temperatures under ceramic heat emitter and basking lamp - put something "tortoise high" under them and thermometer probe on top for 1 hour.
He doesn’t bask directly under the lamp because it gets too hot there once the substrate under it starts drying out, but he basks around the edge and his shell temperature has never exceeded 37 degrees each time I’ve checked.

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
For WL, it took a couple months to see new smooth growth and the scutes down the middle of the shell are the slowest to show change. If humidity, baths, temps, etc., are good, then its just time. I also do weekly measurements and weigh ins, and over three months I've seen about 3 cm new growth long and another 3cm wide and the new growth is way smoother than the previous growth. It helps me manage my expectations about how soon I'll see changes as well.

Edit to add: are they sleeping in their humid hide at night?
Yes he always sleeps in his humid hide, and I’ve added a new one today in the cooler end rather than mid-warm end in case he prefers it there overnight :)

_The_Beast_

Canada
Yes he always sleeps in his humid hide, and I’ve added a new one today in the cooler end rather than mid-warm end in case he prefers it there overnight :)
I think it will probably just take time. You're ticking all of the excellent care boxes and then some, so any residual pyramiding will just be aesthetic at this point. Apologies if you've already mentioned this, but have you tried weekly applications of cold pressed virgin coconut oil to the top of Minty's shell? It came to mind because I apply it to WL on Fridays (after a bath time and a gentle toothbrush shell scrub, give it a few minutes to absorb and wipe off any excess) as a way to help keep the shell keratin hydrated. I'm not sure if it's making a difference in the new growth coming in smooth for WL but it doesn't hurt either. WL does not appreciate the application process but does smell like a cute little coconut after 😂

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
To be honest, I don't think that coconut oil does wonders and is really needed in a humid closed chamber.
Yet I have to confess, I apply it to my RFs shell just out of despair, she spends as much time outside as weather allows, but humidity is way too low for this specie. When summer heat will come, I'll stop coconut oil and resort to sprinklers and deep shaded outside enclosure.

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
These bulbs have just popped up on Amazon. Am I right in thinking they’re good?

Attachments

• IMG_2883.png
    IMG_2883.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 1