Newbie Set Up

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
He should be on newspapers after the first dewormer dose. Newspapers should be changed daily or after every poop. After all dewormer dose have been administered (ideally, when a fecal test confirmed he is clean), you can switch back to substrate. Ideally - to fresh new substrate. Probably, old substrate can be reused after baking it in the oven, but I won't go this way. All dishes should be cleaned up before placing them back.

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
He should be on newspapers after the first dewormer dose. Newspapers should be changed daily or after every poop. After all dewormer dose have been administered (ideally, when a fecal test confirmed he is clean), you can switch back to substrate. Ideally - to fresh new substrate. Probably, old substrate can be reused after baking it in the oven, but I won't go this way. All dishes should be cleaned up before placing them back.
Thank you. I assume that humidity levels go out the window during this process? As I can’t imagine paper will hold it well 😥 Can he still have all of his accessories ie stones, slate, his wheel, plants etc?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you. I assume that humidity levels go out the window during this process? As I can’t imagine paper will hold it well 😥 Can he still have all of his accessories ie stones, slate, his wheel, plants etc?
Yes, humidity will drop. This won't be too bad with regular soaks. Also, a water dish or bowl under the basking lamp should help with some humidity.
I would leave only the things with easy to wash surfaces. So a plastic wheel can stay. The whole thing with newspapers is to prevent reinfestation with eggs, so the less stuff we have - the better (and less to wash daily).
But I may be overly cautions...

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes, humidity will drop. This won't be too bad with regular soaks. Also, a water dish or bowl under the basking lamp should help with some humidity.
I would leave only the things with easy to wash surfaces. So a plastic wheel can stay. The whole thing with newspapers is to prevent reinfestation with eggs, so the less stuff we have - the better (and less to wash daily).
But I may be overly cautions...
No that makes sense and was as I thought but wanted to check, thank you. His wheel has a cork covering so I guess it’s best to take that out during the process. Poor little thing won’t know what to do with himself 🥲

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
No that makes sense and was as I thought but wanted to check, thank you. His wheel has a cork covering so I guess it’s best to take that out during the process. Poor little thing won’t know what to do with himself 🥲
Oh, yes. He has just got comfortable with the new place... But that's just for a couple of weeks.

Kala

Sittingbourne, Kent
Also, how long should their claws be? I’m worried his aren’t wearing down despite having terracotta saucers, slate and lots of pebbles

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Also, how long should their claws be? I’m worried his aren’t wearing down despite having terracotta saucers, slate and lots of pebbles
Russian tortoise claws are naturally quite long to help them dig so I wouldn't worry too much as long as they are not curling or anything. You can of course send us a picture if you want to make sure. Here are some photos of natural length/normal length nails for reference: https://russiantortoise.org/toenails.htm

_The_Beast_

Canada
Hatchling nails are fairly long and will gradually becoming thicker, stubbier, less opaque looking nails providing care is sound (and from this thread the care you're providing is excellent!). The difference in my hatchling's nails from 4 months old to almost 7 months old has been really interesting to watch. There's a quick in the nail (blood vessels), so avoid trimming unless they are so long they start curling or are impeding movement.

I think folks generally avoid compost, organic or otherwise, because it's pretty impossible to know everything that went into it to ensure that it is tort safe. Others who grow will have better advice though. If you search for threads on 'compost' a lot should come up as it's a pretty common question :)