5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Welcome to the forum.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Welcome to the forum! How much space could you provide the tortoise? We can help you narrow down your choices and buy the right equipment! :)

rudeboy1964

Ireland
Welcome to the forum! What kind of tortoise is it you’re interested in getting?🙂
Hermanni. I have a 80cm x 45 x 30 tank for it.
it is about 7 months old. Will be collecting it tomorrow. I’m going to use Orchid Bark substrate and sand. I have an 80 watt mercury vapour bulb and it’s being kept indoors in an apartment.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
it is about 7 months old. Will be collecting it tomorrow. I’m going to use Orchid Bark substrate and sand. I have an 80 watt mercury vapour bulb and it’s being kept indoors in an apartment.
Hello!

Congratulations on getting your first tortoise!

Here is a small list of suggested changes:
1. Don't add sand to substrate. It causes multiple problems with captive tortoises - impactions, irritations and such. They do encounter sandy soils in the wild, however captive environment and diet are very different and sand doesn't work here.
2. Mercury vapour bulbs have some issues with balancing between basking area temperature and safe UVB levels, contribute to pyramiding (perhaps, due to excessive infrared A output). And need rather frequent changes (lifespan is 6 months at best). Please, check Heating/Lightning breakdown section in the care guide I've linked above for the detailed setup example (in short, you need an incandescent bulb for basking and a T5 tube for UVB, a ceramic heat emitter for nighttime heat if the room is cold and ambient LED light if the tank is in the shaded area).
3. The tank is too small - it will last for a while, but it's not enough for 2-3 inches tortoise. Tortoises are different from many other reptiles because they walk a lot foraging for food and don't sit on a branch waiting for prey to come close.

Please ask if you have any questions, concerns or doubts. Also, you can check with us your "tortoise shopping list" to avoid spending money on overpriced or unneeded stuff.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yeah unfortunately as Alex mentioned there’s a few things you’ll need to scrap altogether here for this tortoise, please ask further questions on how to get set up, we can guide you🙂

rudeboy1964

Ireland
So should I get rid of sand altogether? In relation to the tank being open topped and not enclosed, I was thinking of getting a glass sheet to partially cover the tank in the day and fully cover it at night. The room temperature in the apartment stays at around 70f at night time. Thanks

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
So should I get rid of sand altogether? In relation to the tank being open topped and not enclosed, I was thinking of getting a glass sheet to partially cover the tank in the day and fully cover it at night. The room temperature in the apartment stays at around 70f at night time. Thanks
Yes definitely get rid of the sand altogether, your guy still sounds quite young so will need higher humidity therefore I’d recommend keeping it fully covered 24/7, also scrap the mercury vapour bulb and invest in a t5 strip bulb, we personally use the aricadia brand as do a lot of folks here, it’ll need to be mounted about 18 inches from the substrate, also bare in mind this tank you have isn’t going to last long once he starts growing, even now I’d want something a bit bigger, but it should do for now.
You’ll need to ideally get a 8 by 4 foot enclosure set up, bigger if you can, and whilst he’s still young will need it covered. I’d personally recommend something like this flowerbed base, lined with a pond liner(you can find them cheap) then covered with something like this, hope this helps🙂

Attachments

• IMG_1628.png
    IMG_1628.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1629.png
    IMG_1629.png
    838.6 KB · Views: 1