Newbie to the Site..but not new to loving animals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts

Hey guys! hope every body and their pets are doing well!
My names mikey, im from Boston m.a. and im a new owner of a captive bred elongated tort hatch-ling! Her names Tootsie:tort: ,She's still young so i cant sex her for sure but im leaning towards thinking shes a female. i order'd her from TheTurtlesource.com which was perfect for me. She came healthy and bright and has remained the same for the last 6 months with me. i was thinking of getting another tort to keep her company. Now i've been reading mixed thoughts about this. Half of the people say its a horrible idea, half of the others encourage it. i was wondering if any one would want to give me some advice on this. tootsie is 6 months old and im thinking about getting a male OR female red foot to keep her company. can someone who owns an elongated or who has tried this mix give me some advice before i do this? thanks!!

ill post pics of tootsie watchin t.v.
and her custom made condo some time soon!

1.f elongated tort
30 diff spec. of tropical f.w. fish
1 Chihuahua

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Species should never be mixed. Also, tortoises are loners and don't really want or need a companion. Most likely they would fight. As for mixing species, one could pass to the other disease or pathogens that the other is not used to being exposed to and illness or death could occur.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Listen to Barb. One thing we learn fast here on the forum is that torts are loners and don't need companionship. If you want to get a companion for your tort, wait until you know for sure what sex it is, and then get a female either for breeding or for companionship. Two males hardly ever work especially if introduced later on. Btw, welcome:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mikey, and welcome to the Forum!

If you want to get another tortoise, do it for YOU, not because you think your other tortoise is lonely. Like Barb said, tortoises are solitary creatures and don't seek out others for companionship. If you DO get another tortoise be prepared to set up a whole other habitat, because two tortoises of the same species will likely fight.

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hey every body thanks for the quick reply! I'm going to take every ones advice and stick to one.. I read mixed thoughts online but couldn't find a for sure answer.. so thanks for solving that for me.. I love every body's tort pics..very cool !

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
Hey there! I was recently thinking about adding another turtle to my tank, just about everything I read ended in trouble :(

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
KaitlinKeefe_ said:
Hey there! I was recently thinking about adding another turtle to my tank, just about everything I read ended in trouble :(

i feel your pain! the animals are so beautiful you end up wanting a more! lol .. i honestly thot my tort is lonley... i will prob end up getting another elongated or redfoot in the future.. but i will deff take the advice and build a whole other enclosure if i doo.. im reconstructing my torts house this weekend..ill post pics of the old and the new!

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
id be excited to see your set up! im starting to build mine this weekend so itd be great to see other peoples ideas

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
KaitlinKeefe_ said:
id be excited to see your set up! im starting to build mine this weekend so itd be great to see other peoples ideas

yea i got my idea from a young kid on youtube... i love the way it looks but after a few months of using it , its just not as accessible as i'd like it..i think im going to use my computer desk to make a multi floor enclosure and instead of a bathing or drinking dish..im going to make a 2 inch deep beach in the corner of his enclosure with a filter..to give it a real nature look...right now shes in a concrete mixing box with an upper floor ..it looks good, its about 7 to 8 sq ft in total but doesn't work for me..ill post pics of my enclosure when i get outta work..and ill post pics of the desk before and after...i'll prob have it done by sunday...i'd love to see your enclosure ideas too!!! :D

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
that sounds great, i was told for my russian that an L shape would work i found a great image online that im going to expand on, building and expanding enclosures seem to be half the fun as a tortoise parent!

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
KaitlinKeefe_ said:
that sounds great, i was told for my russian that an L shape would work i found a great image online that im going to expand on, building and expanding enclosures seem to be half the fun as a tortoise parent!

YE TELL ME ABOUT IT!! I WAS MAKING PLANS FOR BUILDING MONTHS BEFORE GETTIN MY LITTLE TORT!! lol i've only used her house for 6 to 7 months now and im already re doing it!! i love playing around with what works and looks best...my torts house is nicer then mines lolll

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
this is Tootsie the tortoise! shes still in her current enclosure...ill post the new house when i finish!

Attachments

• IMG_20130722_034823-1.jpg
    IMG_20130722_034823-1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20130719_062454.jpg
    IMG_20130719_062454.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20130719_062611.jpg
    IMG_20130719_062611.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20130719_062613.jpg
    IMG_20130719_062613.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20130722_034823.jpg
    IMG_20130722_034823.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 27

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
So cute! Seems very happy :) I just finished my enclosure I plan on adding on but it's a big step up for my little guy ImageUploadedByTortForum1374551359.603710.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
KaitlinKeefe_ said:
So cute! Seems very happy :) I just finished my enclosure I plan on adding on but it's a big step up for my little guy

your lil guy is a cutie to! ..i like the set up....is he a Russian?

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
KaitlinKeefe_ said:

can i ask were you got him? i love how small the Russians :tort: stay.. ive been wondering about them lately..because my local petco has 3 of them stuffed in this small dirty enclosure and i really feel bad for them..i kinda wanna buy all 3, they are such cuties and they seem friendly.. the only thing that holds me back from rescuing them is that i know they were most likely stolen from the wild..which i dont agree with..and i dont want to have to worrie about cross contamination between them and tootsie who is captive bred and very healthy...they wouldnt be housed together, just in the same room..but i still feel worried about it..then i hate seeing them like that..they are literally stuck under the light and heat emitted all day..they dont have enough room to get out of the basking spot , and they dont have any shade!!!! =/ .. petco realy sucks sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.