Newbie with a few urgent questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcarey123

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I joined this forum as im slightly worried with my tortoises.

I bought 2 herman tortoise about a yr ago and was told they are 3yrs old.

I was sold a vivarium around 1m long with them with a heat lamp and lighting etc.

over the past yr they have grown at quite a rate and and it just doesnt seem right them being in the vivarium. They are always desperately trying to get out??

I feed them once a day in the evening with various plants and the vitamins supplied by the petshop.

Can anyone advise on whats best for my pets I have a greenhouse in the garden that could accomadate bigger housing if that would help??

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi bcarey123:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Actually, your tortoise would be much better off outside in the garden if you can arrange it.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Welcome to the forum! I'm not an expert keeper, but it might be helpful for you to visit some of the threads in the "Enclosure" forum to get some ideas of outdoor and indoor (for winter? not sure where you are and if this is a concern) enclosures that some of the more experienced keepers have whipped up. This is how I got the inspiration to build my own table.

It sounds like the greenhouse would work great, so perhaps you don't need to build anything, but I'd still check out that forum topic if you have some down time. There's some pretty amazing and creative projects on there.
-Chris

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you could attach an outdoor enclosure to the green house, that would be ideal, as you could extend their season. Some have their greenhouse on bricks with one removed so the torts can get in and out. Then a secure outdoor enclosure attached. Bad weather? they go inside. Weather clears for a bit, back out to get some UV. Green house too hot? back outside to cooler planted areas or hides. Gives them some nice, interesting choices.
If you have or will have electric to your green house, you can hang a basking light for them to warm up under on cooler mornings.
Or, a much bigger tort table inside...

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome! I'm newish here also :) I got my inspiration from the enclosure section also. I built an inside enclosure out of a bookshelf :) I'm not expert but from reading as many topics as possible in my down time, it seems torts are better off outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.