Newbie - Yard question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EP429

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas
Hello folks! I've owned turtles/tortoises since I was 4 years old, I haven't had any in a long time (those wascally weptiles always escaped!) These days I own my own home and am capable of securing the perimeter. I am planning on getting a baby Sulcata in a few weeks, my experience with tortoises is limited to the wild Texas variety, I'm wondering if my yard will be big enough to suffice a Sulcata & it's eating habits once it gets up to weight.
Back yard measures roughly 50X40, though some space will be lost with a proper enclosure, a dug out hide-hole, watering area etc. Here's a pic of my yard just after I bought my house, it needed trimmed!
dscf4615h.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi EP429:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

That yard looks like it would be a great place for a sulcata to live.

What would you like us to call you?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks okay to me too. In a few years you might need to reinforce the bottom, to stop him from simply pushing through one day.

Here are some threads to read BEFORE you buy one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Helpful-Threads#axzz1rwIPo0pU

Especially read the one near the bottom called "Hatchling Failure Syndrome". The biggest mistake you could make right now is getting one from the wrong source. Here on the forum we have lots of breeders and suppliers who start them right, but most pet stores and breeders out in the world start them much too dry. The chronic dehydration can literally kill them months down the road...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jojodesca said:
I am a big advocate for rescuing!

I think we all are, but there seems to be a huge shortage of rescuable torts right now. We've had several members looking and asking, and so far nothing...

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to the forum!
Your yard is big enough, your new sulcata will strive if you plant lots of edible items and reinforce the bottom eventually when hes big!

EP429

5 Year Member
Central Texas
The name's Eric. Thanks for all the tips, the links are indeed useful! I am aware of the benefits of using a breeder over a pet shop, but I have had difficulty locating a dedicated tortoise breeder, if anyone has a preferred breeder(s), I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction :)
I started collecting items for an enclosure this evening, got my basking lamp this evening, a 40 gallon feeding/water tank - a thick, hard rubber type thing, should retain moisture well once I enclose the top. Still need a form of substrate, a soaking tub, a hide box, rocks, and some planters, cant hurt to grow before I get my tort I suppose

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I recommend ceramic heaters over bulbs. Get a thermostat and a reostat to control temp and $.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you are ready to buy, just do a thread in the wanted section. There are several good breeders here on the forum that take great care of their babies and start them well hydrated, well fed, and well sunned. One or several of us will answer your ad and let you know what we have available. Two of us will have some available in May, and at least one of us has them right now.

EP429

5 Year Member
Central Texas
Well, after lots of good reading, it seems my yard might be big "enough", but would ultimately not allow a Sulcata the room it rightfully needs and deserves. I still want one of these guys, but feel it would be in the prospective tort's best interest if I wait to give it more room. Who knows, having recently started a family, I might need to upgrade to a larger home in a few years anyway :)
Having said that, I'm still getting a tort, but I'm now looking more toward a redfoot. Since my last post I scrapped the 40 gallon tank, made a few trips to Lowes and have put together a decent starter habitat. Pics of the build and final product will be placed in the appropriate forum shortly!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's great. Good for you! Several good red foot breeders here too. Good luck and can't wait for pics.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Sulcatas ROCK!

Your yard is plenty big enough! even for a full grow Sulcata. Remembert the time frame yourr looking at. It will probably be 4or 5 years before he will need Full access to the yard 24/7. While he is smaller and outside, you'll want him in some kind of enclosure just to keep track of him. WalkingRock is 12 years old, 85lbs and he would be thrilled for such a yard (and he has it good!)!

Katherine

5 Year Member
Welcome to forum! So happy to read you have done and are continuing to do some homework before jumping in blind to tortoise ownership. Sounds like you are making responsible choices and being realistic about your choices : ) Any tortoise you choose will be lucky to call your yard home and have you as a new lifelong companion.

Status
Not open for further replies.