Status
Not open for further replies.

Mel

5 Year Member
Hi, I am from Houston, Texas. I have 2 young Salcutas, a box turtle and a Yellow Foot Tortoise. I don't know how old the Yellow Foot is but fairly big. I don't know if it's a boy or girl come to think of it. We call him/her Shelly. It is my understanding Yellow Foots are shy. I find Shelly may be cautious but it seems when she sees it's me she comes to me. While she eats from my hand often she tries to get around the food to explore my finger. I let her sniff me before but I always retreat unsure if she will bite me. i suspect she will as a means of her discovering my fingers. How powerful are their jaws? I am wondering if I should let her explore. Anybody ever been bit? Thanks. Looking forward to exploring your site!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome
As a general rule it is not a good idea to hand feed a tortoise their jaws while not powerful are very sharp and will cut skin.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

Handfeeding is not a bad thing and alot of people will do this for thier ill tortoises and some just enjoy handfeeding. But it does come at a risk! A bite can be painful and is almost always accidental. Cathie has been bitten twice, once accidently while handfeeding and once on purpose when WalkingRock thought her toe was a strawberry... both painful with broken skin but no scarring.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Welcome!
Getting bit can take off a finger when adults. My dad just yesterday got bit trying to hand feed my torts. Luckily he managed to get away scratch free but said it hurt like crazy!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I don't think anyone will recommend that you let your tortoise bite you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mel:

Welcome to our Tortoise Forum Family!!

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Welcome. It only hurts for a minute. If you feed from the flat of your hand, you won't get bit. They don't do it on purpose.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Welcome
Been bitten by accident a few times-fingers look tasty sometimes.
If you do hand feed occasionally-don't get distracted and turn away!!!

(learned from experience!)

Mel

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the welcomes. I enjoy my Yellow Foot. I've learned from this site she is a girl. Her shell is 10 inches long. I have pics but seem to have trouble uploading. I'm still exploring the site. She lets me pet her head. I suppose she is just tolerant of me rather than actually liking it. I've only had her for a year. I don't know how old she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.