Status
Not open for further replies.

siobhan2kids

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
I came by your site while researching a tortoise i have just taken ownership of in a rush, basically got a text asking if we wanted a tortoise and could we have it soon. I have a number of other animals in my family, and we had talked about a tortoise a few times but have just returned from holiday and were not really prepared for it arriving within 24 hrs!!!
I appear to have a 12 yr old female Horsefields Tortoise. Previously kept in a house in a box with occasional forays outside in a pen.
I have a large garden and playhouse i was planning to make a 'run' and indoor living space using the playhouse as it is solid wood and i have previously insulated and secured it for chickens. The chickens have now moved to another area of the garden. My concern would be infection risk from chicken to tortoise following cleaning of the playhouse. And also maintaining correct conditions for the tortoise. I have also a large greenhouse which i considered using until i have built a pen for her. I haven't the space to keep her indoors to be honest, but a massive garden!
I already have a male soft shelled turtle in a 4ft tank in the kitchen!!
We also have a chocolate lab, jack russell terrier and 5 chickens. I have just built a pond and plan on stocking it with some fish as well. And me and the 2 kids!!
Glutton for punishment i reckon! Long winded hello i know!
We live in Cheshire, UK.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME. I DON't know enough about your species or your climate, so i will leave it to those that do. This post will give up you a bump, so more will see this an give you some help. Good luck and kudos for taking it in. You can do it. Once all your questions are answered and you got things up and running correctly, it's a breeze:D

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) I have a Jack Russell terrier also she is naughty, I can never leave her outside with my Russians she wants to get them. Please be careful of the dogs with your tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi siobhan2kids:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

You have a nice variety of animals in your household. The turtle is one of my favorite kinds of water turtle. The shed will be fine for the tortoise. Just get it cleaned out real well. You might even consider hosing it out to get out all the chicken poop dust. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. The Russian (steppe) tortoise will do quite nicely in the UK. Lots of folks have them there.

Can we see some pictures?

What would you like us to call you?

Status
Not open for further replies.