cam12175501

Hey there, I'm Megan from Somerset, England.
I've just brought a Russian Tortoise who should be turning up today :) I'm so excited.

T1ME1

Location (City and/or State)
East Anglia, England, United Kingdom
Hi Megan, I have just joined this forum too. I am also from the UK (Cambs). I pick.up my first tortoise (a Greek spur-thighed) on Friday after work. I am very excited too!

Hope you little friend shows up today - would be great to see some photos!

cam12175501

He's just turned up :3 and still in his little cardboard box :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 21

cam12175501

My dad made me an octagonal table which he finished 5 minutes before he turned up!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Megan welcome to the TFO from AZ,USA . Don't forget to soak the little Russian today !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

T1ME1

Hi Tom. I looked through your beginners mistakes thread and also your outdoor enclosure for babies thread. In terms of outdoor enclosure I was told by the Breeder to be careful of the Tort digging itself out. However I have not seen many people counter that threat in their enclosure designs. I was wondeting if you (or anyone else reading this) think this is that something I should be concerned about or is the Breeder probably over stating the danger?

Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are many thoughts and strategies on this. What I have found is that they dig in a few inches into the ground, but then come up the same way they went down. They don't usually dig down at one angle and then back up at another, which is what it would take to dig out of a walled enclosure. Some people dig down and bury wire or blocks. My buddies russians lived outside for years with no escape attempts and no underground barriers. Just railroad ties holding them in. In his new place the enclosure was going on top of softer soil in a garden area so he decided to dig down 8" and bury wire. Still no escapes for him after several years of that. My wire goes down 18". No escapes at my place. I'm still using my 4x8' pens for my russians right now, just like the ones in that thread, with no underground barrier at all. Just slumpstone block placed on the surface. I put my 20 youngin's out in the morning, leave them out all day, and pick them up sometimes well after dark and still no escapes. Most of them use the buried shelters I make for them, but some of my 20 just dig in to the dirt somewhere of their own choosing. In theory they could just dig right under those bricks and out, but they don't.

Yvonne places paving stones around the INSIDE perimeter of her russian's walls. This way if they do dig under, they are farther away from the wall. I don't think any of hers ever escaped.

None of my adults in the past ever escaped either. When I have seen russians escape, it has been from climbing OVER their barriers, not under. Sometimes I think they climb better than lizards... Or maybe they can levitate when we aren't watching... Not sure yet. :)

You'll have to do what you are comfortable with. Then watch the tortoise and make adjustments if needed.

T1ME1

Thanks for that Tom. I will probably end up putting some wire down just in case, although I will not be leaving the tort outside for long periods for now anyway, and not on its own. Thanks for the advice.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and for a late Welcome....Good to have you here...

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
A soak is to be warm ( not hot) torts don't swim or have gills so to the top of the legs is about right and about 15 min. :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum