G_Vincey

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi Megan and welcome to the forum..
I joined here last week after purchasing my very first Russian and I love him so much already.. I'm from London, so am also in the UK..

I would suggest reading as much as possible if you haven't already, as there is a lot of conflicting information on these wonderful reptiles, which can get confusing..

Also, I started off with a mixed substrate of soil/sand and some of them pellets I see in your last post.. I was advised against using them pellets as they are extremely dry and changed to a coconut coir substrate which my Russian seems to love.. You may want to think about it, if your enclosure is too dry..

I went from this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400760626.954899.jpg
To this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400760662.360463.jpg

Although, it's a bit dry in the picture, it's easier to keep moist then the pellets..

cam12175501

Hi Megan and welcome to the forum..
I joined here last week after purchasing my very first Russian and I love him so much already.. I'm from London, so am also in the UK..

I would suggest reading as much as possible if you haven't already, as there is a lot of conflicting information on these wonderful reptiles, which can get confusing..

Also, I started off with a mixed substrate of soil/sand and some of them pellets I see in your last post.. I was advised against using them pellets as they are extremely dry and changed to a coconut coir substrate which my Russian seems to love.. You may want to think about it, if your enclosure is too dry..

I went from this
View attachment 81009
To this
View attachment 81010

Although, it's a bit dry in the picture, it's easier to keep moist then the pellets..

The breeder kept him on pellets I just didn't want to stress him out with too much change :), I am eventually going to start mixing it with compost and sand then just use a 60/40 mixture :) He absolutely loves digging and he cant digging too much with the pellets. I spray him every 2 hours at the moment to make sure he doesn't get too dry.
Your viv looks so cute :3

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Welcome! Sorry I'm so late! Joining the forum was the best thing we ever did for our little shelled family! Read, read and keep reading!! ;)

G_Vincey

London
The breeder kept him on pellets I just didn't want to stress him out with too much change :), I am eventually going to start mixing it with compost and sand then just use a 60/40 mixture :) He absolutely loves digging and he cant digging too much with the pellets. I spray him every 2 hours at the moment to make sure he doesn't get too dry.
Your viv looks so cute :3

Yeah that makes perfect sense.. Although, some people recommend a little less Sand than 40%, I can't really advice you as I don't use it, but you seem to know what your doing..

Btw does he have a name yet?
And thank you, although, I don't like his water dishes and he nothing to really climb on atm :(
How are your temperatures?

cam12175501

Yeah that makes perfect sense.. Although, some people recommend a little less Sand than 40%, I can't really advice you as I don't use it, but you seem to know what your doing..

Btw does he have a name yet?
And thank you, although, I don't like his water dishes and he nothing to really climb on atm :(
How are your temperatures?

I read somewhere it was 40 sand, I guess I can see what works :L
Yeah, he's called Esiotrot from the roald dahl book :3 but Esio for short :) , How about yours?
In the day I keep him no higher than 80F and at 64-65 at night, but I'm worried he might be getting cold. How about you?

G_Vincey

London
I read somewhere it was 40 sand, I guess I can see what works :L
Yeah, he's called Esiotrot from the roald dahl book :3 but Esio for short :) , How about yours?
In the day I keep him no higher than 80F and at 64-65 at night, but I'm worried he might be getting cold. How about you?

Yeah, I've seen ratios from 50 to as little as 10, but yeah keep us posted on how it goes..
Lool, Niiice.. Mines called Theo, after Theo Walcott, a little ironic joke as I'm an Arsenal fan..

Ok I use a MVB (Mercury Vapour Bulb) and under that his temp is currently 33C (around 92F) and the cool end is around 26C.. At night the lights go off and his temps slowly drop to 23.5 in the cool end and 25 under the light (when it's off)..

I'm not an expert yet but you may need to increase ur basking temp slightly.. I read that the temp should be between 90-95F..

Theo has started eating properly since the temps were corrected and wasn't very active while they wasn't sorted...
How is Esio's eating and behaviour?

Sorry Megan, I've just realised you said you have a Greek spur thighed tortoise and I'm giving you info for a Russian Tortoise.. My apologies, although from what I'm finding the temp requirements seem to be around the same..

Last edited:

cam12175501

Yeah, I've seen ratios from 50 to as little as 10, but yeah keep us posted on how it goes..
Lool, Niiice.. Mines called Theo, after Theo Walcott, a little ironic joke as I'm an Arsenal fan..

Ok I use a MVB (Mercury Vapour Bulb) and under that his temp is currently 33C (around 92F) and the cool end is around 26C.. At night the lights go off and his temps slowly drop to 23.5 in the cool end and 25 under the light (when it's off)..

I'm not an expert yet but you may need to increase ur basking temp slightly.. I read that the temp should be between 90-95F..

Theo has started eating properly since the temps were corrected and wasn't very active while they wasn't sorted...
How is Esio's eating and behaviour?

Sorry Megan, I've just realised you said you have a Greek spur thighed tortoise and I'm giving you info for a Russian Tortoise.. My apologies..

Aww I like the name Theo!

I've just increased the basking light's thermostat, I just kept the whole viv at the day temperature :S "maintain a day temperature of 78F-82F" Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I want little Esio to be happy :3
He is quite an active little fella really, he doesn't eat as much as I thought he would, but I thought I was putting too much in!
He is a Russian :D

G_Vincey

London
Aww I like the name Theo!

I've just increased the basking light's thermostat, I just kept the whole viv at the day temperature :S "maintain a day temperature of 78F-82F" Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I want little Esio to be happy :3
He is quite an active little fella really, he doesn't eat as much as I thought he would, but I thought I was putting too much in!
He is a Russian :D

:D thanks, I had a nightmare trying to name him, no one liked the names suggested..

If he's a Russian definitely increase temps..
Here's an example..
"Temperature: Temperature is critical for a healthy tortoise. The pen should have a cool end with the temps in the low 70's and a basking spot at 90-95°F. Night time temperature drops are needed. Mine do well with temps that drop down into the 60's at night. If they are kept too cool they can't digest their food. Too warm and they stop eating and aestivate (sort of like suspended animation)."
http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

Maybe he's not eating as much because he needs time to get used to his new enclosure and dealing with the stress of transportation.. As long as he's active and eating something, is a good sign..

Do you have a hygrometer to measure humidity?

cam12175501

Yeah I have a hygrometer, it's really difficult to keep the humidity up, but I have a spray machine and it goes off every 1 and a half hours to keep it up.

G_Vincey

London
Yeah I'm having the same issues with humidity atm but I've found that using a lid helps keep the humidity in.. Maybe your dad could make a lid for part of the enclosure..

It's a really nice enclosure though.. I like the rocks, plants and little cave.. I'm sure Esio loves it :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Hi and welcome!

The pellets should be removed asap. It won't stress him, and giving him a proper substrate is important as far a maintaining humidity and Russians love to dig and burrow. Those pellets will not help with humidity and will quickly mold if wet.

As far as sand, you'll find most experienced keepers here say absolutely no sand at all. It can irritate the eyes and, more importantly, builds up in their gut over time (sticks to food, etc.) and can cause impaction.

Coco coir, as someone previously suggested, is a great choice for torts.

cam12175501

Hi and welcome!

The pellets should be removed asap. It won't stress him, and giving him a proper substrate is important as far a maintaining humidity and Russians love to dig and burrow. Those pellets will not help with humidity and will quickly mold if wet.

As far as sand, you'll find most experienced keepers here say absolutely no sand at all. It can irritate the eyes and, more importantly, builds up in their gut over time (sticks to food, etc.) and can cause impaction.

Coco coir, as someone previously suggested, is a great choice for torts.

Oh really, I'll go buy some tomorrow then, didn't realise in was so bad, I just wanted something he was use to before I got him

G_Vincey

London
And coconut coir is cheap.. 2 bricks for £5, so for £10 (the price I paid for my bag of pellets) you can get just as much coconut coir..
That should give you enough substrate without the need for sand..

cam12175501

And coconut coir is cheap.. 2 bricks for £5, so for £10 (the price I paid for my bag of pellets) you can get just as much coconut coir..
That should give you enough substrate without the need for sand..

Awesome, thanks, I'll go Coconut Coir hunting tomorrow :3