Newby humidity question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashers

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
What should the humidity level be for my new 7 week old Hermanns? His setup is one of those large, shallow tubs that is very open to the surrounding environment. I keep adequate temperatures, but I want to make sure it's not too dry for Cosgrove. (Substrate includes areas of coconut coir, sphagnum moss, a drier reptile bark over by basking area). Thanks for the suggestions.

ashers

5 Year Member
Kansas
Forgot to add a pic of Cosgrove. Would 50-60% be good?? Please let me know, I'm wanting to give him the best care, as this is my very first tortoise (and reptile in general). Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0244 (2).jpg
    IMAG0244 (2).jpg
    770 KB · Views: 35

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
50% is about the minimum ambient humidity level that you want to have. A more ideal range for young Hermann's (as well as other Northern Mediterranean Testudo species) is 60-70%. Even a bit higher is okay as long as there is good air exchange also taking place within the enclosure. As well as ambient air humidity the substrate, at least 2/3 of it should be kept moist also. Not to the point of being dripping wet, but not so dry that it produces dust when disturbed. Either a constant supply of clean drinking water or every other day watering (soaking), or both, is recommended to ensure that your tortoise stays well hydrated. Remaining well hydrated will not only help your tortoise grow smooth as it should but dehyration is also often at the root of many problems associated wtih baby tortoises.

ashers

5 Year Member
Kansas
Thanks, that helps. I may keep it his substrate a little more moist to bump up the humidity a bit. He does have constant access to a very shallow water dish and I bathe him regularly, so hopefully lil guy is comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.