Change of behavior for baby

Teachbiochem

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello,

I am a new tortoise owner. I have had a baby cherryhead tortoise for a month. Three days ago, I changed its substrate from reptile bark to coconut coir because I was struggling with humidity and it has changed behavior since. On the bark, it moved around quite a bit, ate and hung out away from the hide off an on during the day. Now, it only hangs in the corner under sphagnum moss and has taken a couple little nibbles in the last couple days. The humidity is better (60-70%) now, but it’s behavior has changed so much. Any suggestions or am I being overly concerned?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
What are your temps at? you could try coconut coir topped with the reptile bark. also he is a baby, they mostly hide. he may have found his happy place

Teachbiochem

Kansas
Temps have been in the 80-85 range with a hotter area on one side. The behavior change worried me because he isn’t eating as much.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He could be sulking, they don't like change. I agree put a layer of bark over the coir. It will be a lot less messy that way.

Teachbiochem

Kansas
Thank you for the input! I wondered if he wasn’t just upset from the change. I will add bark on top and keep an eye on him.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I agree. Putting anything new in their enclosure can really make them act differently - sulking - while they adapt to the new situation/surroundings.

Teachbiochem

Kansas
Upon further inspection today, I noticed these spots and think he might have shell rot. I think I was keeping the substrate too wet to try to maintain humidity.

Attachments

• 7798CC06-6CEF-481B-933E-D34AF834633F.jpeg
    7798CC06-6CEF-481B-933E-D34AF834633F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Someone with knowledge of this will come along soon and advise you what to do if it is shell rot.