Help! Sphagnum moss arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
I've finally changed Alan's viv with orchid bark and taken advice from another forum member about his hide against the wall so he feels like its a cave! (see picture). The humidity has increased to 70% already :) I'm over the moon! But I need some advice on the sphagnum moss I bought. I went for the new Zealand sphagnum moss by zoo med I understand I put this on top of the orchid bark once I've dampened it??? Where should I put it in his viv and where shouldn't I??? HELP!

image-732455621.png

Ps I've placed a little bit in the clay pot you can see in the picture although I've never seen him go in there when it was
Reptibark?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It really does not matter.

If you are just looking for the humidity boost of the moss, you can even think about sewing it into some mesh or linen bags, soaking the bags, then hanging them in convenient places.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Madkins007 said:
It really does not matter.

If you are just looking for the humidity boost of the moss, you can even think about sewing it into some mesh or linen bags, soaking the bags, then hanging them in convenient places.

Great idea! The humidity is at 80% now!??? It was rising higher than this so I've opened his viv slightly to allow humidity to escape! I've gone from struggling to get 60% with the reptibark to going out of control with the orchid bark!!! :D I think I'll wait till I add the moss and allow the humidity to settle! Thank you! :)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I ALWAYS do that with my logs for my tortoise's :) I believe they fell more secure that way! :D

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
esiotrot said:
Can't help with anything, but loving Alan's house :)

Thanks ;) x

TortoiseBoy1999 said:
I ALWAYS do that with my logs for my tortoise's :) I believe they fell more secure that way! :D

Yeah he took a while but then went in...right to the back! When I opened the viv later I could see he had his back to me and his head came out when I called his name ;) would you put some moss I'm his log?

jlb1077

5 Year Member
Where did you get the orchard bark? I just built a tort table & filled it 2 big bags of Reptibark!!! Then I found your post.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
jlb1077 said:
Where did you get the orchard bark? I just built a tort table & filled it 2 big bags of Reptibark!!! Then I found your post.

If your in the uk I got it from 'bluelizardreptiles.co.uk they post all over the uk. I got it within 2days! Its cheap! £4.99 for a 10litre bag? I used two for my 4x2x2 viv! :)

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Like Madkins007 said, you can put it anywhere. Just soak it in warm water, give it a squeeze, and put it anywhere he likes to be. Maybe inside the flower pot. I made a humid hide for my redfoot and eastern and they are in there all the time. They love the humidity and it's great for their shells.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
mchong9606 said:
Like Madkins007 said, you can put it anywhere. Just soak it in warm water, give it a squeeze, and put it anywhere he likes to be. Maybe inside the flower pot. I made a humid hide for my redfoot and eastern and they are in there all the time. They love the humidity and it's great for their shells.

I'll try it in his hide! Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.