Hatchling sulcata setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

SulcataGuy

5 Year Member
This is my 55 gallon Rubbermaid hatchling sulcata setup, using coconut coir substrate, moss for humidity, a MVB and and undertank heater along with a humid hide box, any suggestions would be appreciated

image-1970476976.png

image-1204477229.png

image-4210837950.png

image-1447062676.png

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
You got a grenade in there?

I like it! I like the way you added the screen covers to the lid!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks good. I'd cover the other half to hold in heat and humidity and I'd add a terra cotta plant saucer for a water bowl.

SulcataGuy

5 Year Member
Yeah had a water bowl in there but found her laying upside down in it, so it immediately got taken out today, she was only on her back five minutes though and not under the water thank god, and yes I prolly by the terra cotter dish tomorrow, should I worry about covering the other side if I most 2-3 times daily and have the moss and the humid hide, if I should, what should I use to cover it?

*mist 2-3 times daily

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Every enclosure is different, but the more closed in it is, the more you will be able to hold in heat and humidity. You can use tinfoil, lexan, wood (carefully), really anything to block the air flow.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I am going to make a tent to cover mine. I saw one in Tom's thread on keeping in humidity. It was a triangle top made out of clear vinyl and pvc pipes. It was cool. I will do mine out of wood and then attach the lights to it. You could try something similar or just use one of the materials Tom mentioned to keep in the humidity. I find that even with misting it 10 - 15 times a day the humidity is too hard to keep where it needs to be at. Good luck and it looks nice.:)

SulcataGuy

5 Year Member
I think I'm going to use a plexi glass sheet and cover up that one side without the lamp, thank you all for your ideas and suggestions

I think I'll prolly just cover that side with plexiglass, I probably shouldn't have cut it out in the first place, but at least plexiglass will keep the view into it the enclosure better, roughly how long would you say an enclosure this big should work for a hatchling Sulcata, it's a 55 gallon Rubbermaid

Status
Not open for further replies.