Newly discovered species of Platysteronon found!

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lititz, PA

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Turtles growing long hair-type algae naturally is a common thing although to the extent shown in the above photos is highly unusual.

Just to be clear, my information about the sanding of the shells came as a matter of fact comment from Alex Cheng of Shanghai. He had sent me numerous photos of Asian turtles in Chinese shops with that ridiculously long algae on them and he explained the the culture of getting the algae to grow on them like that. But it can also occur naturally.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
cdmay said:
Turtles growing long hair-type algae naturally is a common thing although to the extent shown in the above photos is highly unusual.

Just to be clear, my information about the sanding of the shells came as a matter of fact comment from Alex Cheng of Shanghai. He had sent me numerous photos of Asian turtles in Chinese shops with that ridiculously long algae on them and he explained the the culture of getting the algae to grow on them like that. But it can also occur naturally.

Well, ok- I'm a little less indignant now, I guess. Presumably it doesn't harm the animal. But I won't be intentionally getting algae to grow on any of my turtles (if I ever get any!) :p

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
It's really unique picture.

One thing I'm curious of. If the shells are sand papered, the algae will always come off when they start to shed right?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Yellow Turtle said:
It's really unique picture.

One thing I'm curious of. If the shells are sand papered, the algae will always come off when they start to shed right?

Not all species shed their scutes, so not necessarily. In addition to the Platysternon, I saw photos of Beal's turtles and Mauremys mutica with hairy shells. I'm pretty sure neither of them shed their scutes.
I've asked Alex to re-send me those photos and clarify the process.