Night Box Plans

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange, CA
Hello, I've been reading through many threads on night boxes and think I have a direction to head in, but would like some help. I am looking for a night box for a desert tortoise located in Southern California. Are there any pre-made solutions that work well for a tortoise of this size in my climate? I have an RHP I can use but do I also need a heat pad, or is a heat pad only better? Right now, I'm looking for a smaller doghouse or something similar.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In this thread I explain this concept and what is needed. You might find some other useful info too, but this niyhtbox system has been working great for years for me, and it helps keep the torts alive and well when Mother Nature is not cooperating:

I would not use the RHP/Kane mat combo for a temperate species, and dog houses don't work because they are designed for dogs, not tortoises. You'll need to build your own.

Questions are welcome.

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Orange, CA
Thanks for this. Lots of great info and I've used much of your advice on babies to where I am now ready to let my 5-year-old DT outside year round.

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Orange, CA
I plan on copying your basic night box design. How big is recommended for a DT? Is bigger better or does it just introduce issues with keeping temp correct?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I plan on copying your basic night box design. How big is recommended for a DT? Is bigger better or does it just introduce issues with keeping temp correct?
For any of the fossorial species, sulcata, DTs, and arguably Russians, I prefer a smaller night box space for them since it is meant to simulate a burrow. You could make a 4x8 box for a single DT and it would work just fine, but a 4x4 will suit them perfectly too.

The key elements to keep in mind for your species, is cooler over night lows, but not too cold, and that basking lamp inside the box for spring and fall days when they can't warm up in the sunshine due to cold snaps or rain. The basking lamp will also warm up the ambient inside the box during the day and it just works so perfectly for any temperate species.

I set my ambient heat for around 65, and the basking lamp warms the whole box into the low 80s during the day, while still providing a simulated warmer "sunny" spot for them to get their body temp up on a cold dreary day. When the basking lamp kicks off, the whole box gradually cools to 60-65 over night. On warm sunny days when the outside temp is 65 or more, I don't run the basking lamp at all, but it sure is handy on those occasional bad weather days. In summer, I just unplug the whole box. In winter, I hibernate them, so again, the whole box is unplugged.