Night crawlers with a side of dirt :)

xBapes

Location (City and/or State)
Cockeysville, MD
So I’ve been able to get Iggy to eat the last few days and it has been wonderful. I think the past two weeks of him not eating are catching up with him. He’s not very interested in any vegetation for now but hopefully he will take some type of interest. I try to feed him the worms on a plate but he seems to enjoy pulling them to where he wants and eat them.

I know that some Boxies will eat willingly outside of their enclosure in a separate areas but he’s not that kind of guy I suppose ‍♂️ I’ve noticed he’s more ‘turned on’ when I serve them on top of his leaf litter. Normally I wouldn’t feed him every day (the worms) but he’s been searching for the worms the past few days and I found him with a left over piece of worm in his mouth from yesterday that I missed while spot cleaning ‍♂️ Side Note: He’s not very interested in super worms or meal worms. I haven’t tried waxworks yet. Some say I can use a horned worm, is that is true?

I’ve also caught him bathing and bobbing for apples in the water of which I assume he was drinking lol..he’s getting better with my presence though sometimes if I move too quickly he retreats into his shell or starts to move a little which is understandable. We are making progress together and words can’t describe how much I love this little dude. He is really got a personality [emoji16]

I also want to thank all those who have set my mind at ease and offered advice..etc..it has truly made this process easier to handle!

-Chris

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Please read the link in my signature about feeding. My Box turtle vet also told me if you buy the earthworms at the store, the dirt they are packed in is not good for them, can cause obstructions in the gut, so put the worms in water for 5 minutes before feeding. this will cause them to poop out any of the impaction type dirt, and then they will be safe to feed.

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Please read the link in my signature about feeding. My Box turtle vet also told me if you buy the earthworms at the store, the dirt they are packed in is not good for them, can cause obstructions in the gut, so put the worms in water for 5 minutes before feeding. this will cause them to poop out any of the impaction type dirt, and then they will be safe to feed.

One step ahead of you, I always rinse them off first lol

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Not rinse them off. Let them sit in water for 5 minutes. So they poop. it is not the dirt on the outside of the worm, it's the dirt in their intestines that causes problems.