night temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustee35

10 Year Member!
Since it is getting toward fall, How low can night temps go before you take the torts in or winterize their enclosures? Our nights are still in the fifties so far but I need to start planning ahead because in Ohio cold fall nights will be here before you know it. Thanks, Deanna :)

M

Maggie Cummings

A temp in the 50's would make me keep mine in. Anything lower then about 65 and I warm them up. Bob lives in a heated insulated shed and has free rein most of the time. He goes to bed every night around 7 and stays in his bed until 9 or 10 the next day. I would never leave him out as I have big raccoons that go in my yard most nights.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
maggie3fan said:
A temp in the 50's would make me keep mine in. Anything lower then about 65 and I warm them up. Bob lives in a heated insulated shed and has free rein most of the time. He goes to bed every night around 7 and stays in his bed until 9 or 10 the next day. I would never leave him out as I have big raccoons that go in my yard most nights.

What is your way of keeping him in? Just curious.

M

Maggie Cummings

There's a regular door for me to go in and out and a doggie door for Bob. After he goes to bed I go out and lock the doggie door and the first thing in the morning I go open the doggie door. Then all day he has the freedom to roam around as his pen has a 3.5 foot solid cedar fence..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My babies sleep inside with an ambient of 80. My adults sleep outside year round, even when night temps drop below freezing, but they have heated shelters. The outside temps don't matter. The temps inside your shelter are what matters. With out a shelter, I wouldn't want my adults sleeping outside much below 65. I know they can survive cooler temps, but that doesn't mean it's good for them.

dustee35

10 Year Member!
they all have burrows that they are in at night. They go into their burrows in the evening and are out first thing in the morning to graze on the grass with the dew still on it. They spend the morning grazing, go back to their burrows for the heat of the day and then come back out for supper. No one has the sniffles and everyone is growing and gaining weight by leaps and bounds. The redfoots have a dog igloo that they go into at night and it always has a heat bulb in it so it is toasty warm. Same with the boxies. I guess I never thought fifties were cold because in Ohio the nights are never that warm. Hmmmmmm. definitely something to think about! :tort:

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
I'm jealous. Our night temps are still in the late 80's here :[ I'll enjoy winter vicariously through you all!

dustee35

10 Year Member!
come on up to Ohio in december or January when the highs are in the single digits and the lows are below 0. You will not be jealous for long. I am jealous of you and your warm temps. My sullies could stay out and eat their hearts out. Although I think they really enjoy their salad all winter long. I know I do not enjoy the electric bills keeping them nice and toasty!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.