Night time temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was told by the breeder I got my Sulcata from that I should keep the heat lamp on at all times in her enclosure. I have been doing this since I got her. What I want to ask is...should I keep doing it or should I be turning her light off at night to let the temperature drop a little? When the light is on, depending on the room temp. the temp in her enclosure goes from 90-100 on the hot end and 75-85 on the cooler end.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
A night time drop to 65-70 is fine for them, no reason to run the heat 24/7.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I believe your temperatures are perfect if you can maintain that at night. Watch how the shell shape turns out at those temperatures. I would be surprised if it did not turn out perfict they way you have it.

You might consider a ceramic heat emitter for at night only to give the tortoise a day/night cycle although I don't believe it is necessary.

Coldliz said:
I was told by the breeder I got my Sulcata from that I should keep the heat lamp on at all times in her enclosure. I have been doing this since I got her. What I want to ask is...should I keep doing it or should I be turning her light off at night to let the temperature drop a little? When the light is on, depending on the room temp. the temp in her enclosure goes from 90-100 on the hot end and 75-85 on the cooler end.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you for you advice.

Do you have Sulcatas?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I've got 3 that have the run of the yard.

Ed

Coldliz said:
Thank you for you advice.

Do you have Sulcatas?

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
well I have yet another question.. Is there a difference between an infared light and a daytime basking light? They both do the same thing right?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I don't like the IR lights because I've seen too many tortoises burned by them. You have to be very careful as to the distance at which you place the lamps and there does not seem to be much room for error.

Is your question based on an indoor or outdoor application?

Coldliz said:
well I have yet another question.. Is there a difference between an infared light and a daytime basking light? They both do the same thing right?

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
EJ, were you recommending to leave the light on at night?

I'm not using an Infared, I just wanted to know if there was a difference.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
If that is the only heat source you can provide then leaving the light on at night is fine. It would be better to provide a similar wattage ceramic heater/emitter.

There is a difference between IR and normal light. As I said, I've seen tortoises burned by IR. You can use it but it is hazardous.

Coldliz said:
EJ, were you recommending to leave the light on at night?

I'm not using an Infared, I just wanted to know if there was a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.