Nightbox help

tortlover73

5 Year Member
Ok @Tom

I got the plywood cut. When we got to cutting the bottom piece I added up what you said and it does come out to 42.75 but we cut it to 43. So do we cut the second bottom plywood piece (that goes over the insulation) the same size? My teenager likes to argue

Also, when you cut the 2x4’s for the bottom and leave space for the door we are planning to put it at one side like you did for more floor space. But how far from the side wall do you put the door opening?

tortlover73

5 Year Member
@Tom And also I think I needed 6 sheets of plywood if I’m insulating all four sides and the top and bottom??? And prob more insulation too .... unless my brain is scrambled which wouldn’t be such a surprise haha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ok @Tom

I got the plywood cut. When we got to cutting the bottom piece I added up what you said and it does come out to 42.75 but we cut it to 43. So do we cut the second bottom plywood piece (that goes over the insulation) the same size? My teenager likes to argue

Also, when you cut the 2x4’s for the bottom and leave space for the door we are planning to put it at one side like you did for more floor space. But how far from the side wall do you put the door opening?
This is to complicated to explain in a few sentences. I measure and cut all the pieces as I go to make sure it all fits perfectly. The answer to your question will depend on where the overlap is on each section. Do the front and back panels overlap the sides, or vice versa? Same with the sides and bottom. How it all articulates will make your measurements vary by the width of two layers of plywood.

Each of my box threads shows how it all integrates, and that thread with the exploded view shows it best.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
@Tom So.. I’ve started the box. Realizing I am confused about the door opening. Do I need to cut out the door opening from the 2x4?

Attachments

• 8484EBBE-215A-45D0-B9B8-17F7AD204050.jpeg
    8484EBBE-215A-45D0-B9B8-17F7AD204050.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom So.. I’ve started the box. Realizing I am confused about the door opening. Do I need to cut out the door opening from the 2x4?
Yes. Its easier to do it before it is attached to the bottom. The door frame should be the same height as the 1.5" insulation.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
I’m not a seasoned carpenter but I’m doing pretty good... should’ve prob stopped til I heard from you... and when I looked at the pix I thought it was the bottom in the pix and after I got it all together realiZed it was the top... so I have a double layer of insulation in the floor which is prob not bad since this is Denver....

May have to take the front piece of the 2x4 base off and cut it... or if there’s an option let me know..

One more question. The height is 2’. Is that measuring to the bottom of the base 2x4 which leaves the inside 20” instead of 24?

Gonna quit for the day. The rain is moving in

Thanks so much :)

78AA6CD6-68F2-4554-913E-DE9F04E23BED.jpeg D343B1EE-B2D3-4D43-8DB4-4E3C6E75D6AB.jpeg 22EAC2B7-BB9B-411E-B923-D3BF749F3C9B.jpeg EBEEB9BD-B80B-4667-A84D-43BEBD9020F3.jpeg

tortlover73

5 Year Member
Crisis averted. I back tracked the construction and took off the front 2x4. Had to do some creative cutting to lower part of it down to the insulation. Took one layer of the insulation out and we are back in business....Just need to redo the wall I had but everything is cut and the same measurement. Just making sure thought that the inside height is less than 24 inches since the 2 foot side goes down to the bottom 2x4.... This is certainly a very fun project, and if I can do this even with the mistake I made, anyone can :) I am a veterinarian but by no means a carpenter

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Crisis averted. I back tracked the construction and took off the front 2x4. Had to do some creative cutting to lower part of it down to the insulation. Took one layer of the insulation out and we are back in business....Just need to redo the wall I had but everything is cut and the same measurement. Just making sure thought that the inside height is less than 24 inches since the 2 foot side goes down to the bottom 2x4.... This is certainly a very fun project, and if I can do this even with the mistake I made, anyone can :) I am a veterinarian but by no means a carpenter
I'm no carpenter either. I learned by trial and error. I still have a lot to learn. With each new box, I made fewer and fewer errors, and they come out better and better.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
Well down the road once I move I’m hoping to build her the big one. :). Plus I may have adopted another sulcata when I’m in better weather for one.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
@Tom Here’s where I’m at. Just have the inner plywood walls to do and the front and back of the front side to do. But I haven’t started the top yet. When I cut the bottom smaller I cut it shorter all on one side so my dimensions of the box are 49.25x 43.5. Not sure I know how to calculate how big to make the top....any input?

Attachments

• 86A6973B-7A8B-46F5-ACD8-054A3BC1FC7B.jpeg
    86A6973B-7A8B-46F5-ACD8-054A3BC1FC7B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom Here’s where I’m at. Just have the inner plywood walls to do and the front and back of the front side to do. But I haven’t started the top yet. When I cut the bottom smaller I cut it shorter all on one side so my dimensions of the box are 49.25x 43.5. Not sure I know how to calculate how big to make the top....any input?
In all of my boxes, I make the lid first. The lid is a full 4x8' sheet for the big boxes, or 4x4' for the small boxes. Then I make the box fit inside that with some room for clearance when opening and closing the lid.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
Ok... so guess I’ll get another sheet of plywood and cut it so there’s room on all sides. Next time I’ll build it like your big one ;)

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok... so guess I’ll get another sheet of plywood and cut it so there’s room on all sides. Next time I’ll build it like your big one ;)
I made many "mistakes" like this one when I first started building these boxes. It gets easier, and the boxes get better the more you do it. Everything is fixable. There is a solution for every problem.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
I have the bottom all done. Now I have to figure out how to make the top since My box is wider than 48” and there won’t be overhang. Not really sure how to modify. @Tom can you tell me how much over hang you should have so the box can open and close?

Attachments

• 32C307F1-1E48-4EEC-A16F-23BD7CAC3DEB.jpeg
    32C307F1-1E48-4EEC-A16F-23BD7CAC3DEB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have the bottom all done. Now I have to figure out how to make the top since My box is wider than 48” and there won’t be overhang. Not really sure how to modify. @Tom can you tell me how much over hang you should have so the box can open and close?
I usually do the box about an inch and a quarter smaller than the lid. This give a little over half inch clearance on each side and allows plenty of room for any warping or build imperfections.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
@Tom somewhere in these nightbox posts I found your link for the weather stripping. I ordered it from Home Depot and now it’s ready to go on. I know you mentioned some specific instructions for the weather stripping and the lid hinges but I can’t find it. Also does it matter, since the weather stripping is not as wide as the walls where we put it? Like closer to the outside ? The box is painted. Door is finally done. Just need to cut the last piece of plywood for the top seal it and attach the hinges. Which is why I am wondering about the order of things on the weather stripping and the hinge...

Attachments

• 35132EF8-5463-41F3-A2FF-AD4D72DE100D.jpeg
    35132EF8-5463-41F3-A2FF-AD4D72DE100D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 0BA9B07D-99A6-431C-B114-B146E127A746.jpeg
    0BA9B07D-99A6-431C-B114-B146E127A746.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom somewhere in these nightbox posts I found your link for the weather stripping. I ordered it from Home Depot and now it’s ready to go on. I know you mentioned some specific instructions for the weather stripping and the lid hinges but I can’t find it. Also does it matter, since the weather stripping is not as wide as the walls where we put it? Like closer to the outside ? The box is painted. Door is finally done. Just need to cut the last piece of plywood for the top seal it and attach the hinges. Which is why I am wondering about the order of things on the weather stripping and the hinge...
I put the weather stripping on first. Middle is fine, but not critical. Then carefully place the lid on top so the sides are evenly spaced and the back is against the back of the box. Don't scoot it or push the lid. Lift the lid above the weather stripping as you adjust it into the correct place. Once the lid is sitting in the right place, and you've checked for even clearance all around, then attach your hinges. Doing it this way will allow the correct amount of room for your weather stripping and more evenly distribute the weight of the lid onto all the weather stripping all the way around.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
I put the weather stripping on first. Middle is fine, but not critical. Then carefully place the lid on top so the sides are evenly spaced and the back is against the back of the box. Don't scoot it or push the lid. Lift the lid above the weather stripping as you adjust it into the correct place. Once the lid is sitting in the right place, and you've checked for even clearance all around, then attach your hinges. Doing it this way will allow the correct amount of room for your weather stripping and more evenly distribute the weight of the lid onto all the weather stripping all the way around.
Thanks you @Tom. You are always so helpful. :)

Reactions: Tom

tortlover73

5 Year Member
IMG_8706.jpeg
Update on the nightbox. I am seriously so impressed at this thing. Thank you @Tom !!! It is fall in Denver and koopa has been outside all summer. She’s gained about 10 pounds and is at 40
Pounds now. I have the radiant heat panel and the Kane heat mat. Added the restaurant freezer flaps this weekend. This morning it was 48 degrees outside. The door was open and the inside temp was 75. Koopa was all kinds of happy and in the pic was just contemplating coming out. All I have left to do is install the little stand heater you mentioned and the supports for the lid. I’m forever grateful for the knowledge you share and have pointed a lot
Of people to this forum and Your care sheets. I followed it to a T and Koopas Shell is almost totally smooth. Thank you so much.