Nighttime temp

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Hi all. I have been keeping my greek's nighttime temp at around 80 all day and night so I was wondering if I should let it drop during night. Anything would be great
Thanks[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think it's quite ok for the night time temperatures to drop down to about 70F or so (adult tortoises, right?) for the Mediterranean species. Of course, if they're babies, you should keep it up to at least 80F. If your house doesn't get too cold at night, you probably don't even need any heat at night.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
For my adults my temp drops down to even as low as mid 50s at night. They are tanks. They have not even slowed down one bit for hibernation. I keep my hatchling at 75-80 at night.

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot for the help. My tort is 9 months old so I guess he's still a juvenile so I think I'll keep the heat on and the temp at 80. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Darwin_T said:
Thanks a lot for the help. My tort is 9 months old so I guess he's still a juvenile so I think I'll keep the heat on and the temp at 80. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

9 months I consider a hatchling. Just a friendly reminder, this is the age they are really prone to pyramiding. Humidity, all types if temp, proper substrate and food consumption is everything. Best of luck to you buddy! I know it's a challenge specially winter is coming but you'll be fine. I'm cheering for you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of the greek types and subspecies should have a drop in night temp. I wouldn't keep one at 80 at night.

I'm no expert on greeks, but I do study other Mediterranean species (Hermanni specifically), and all of the Med. torts benefit from a nighttime temp drop. At least to 65-70, although as Jlant pointed out, they can tolerate much lower.

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Thanks Jlant85. That really relieves stress and helps me feel better and thanks to everyone who has replied. I joined the forum recently and I have had so much help and felt so welcome. Thanks to al of you.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Darwin_T said:
Thanks Jlant85. That really relieves stress and helps me feel better and thanks to everyone who has replied. I joined the forum recently and I have had so much help and felt so welcome. Thanks to al of you.

no problem ^_^ that is what we are here for. I first started out like you. asking a lot of question.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Darwin_T said:

no problem ^_^ that is what we are here for. I first started out like you. asking a lot of question.