No where to be found

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
I have lost track of one of my male tortoises. It is getting cold the last two weeks so CoCo has been digging and I was going to let him stay outside till November - Colorado weather should be fine for them to be outside till November.

Coco has been digging and found a really nice and hidden spot. See the attached photos. Initially I had a hard time finding him, once I know where he is hiding, I leave him alone knowing that I can find him later at that spot and if I have to take him inside if weather suddenly become severe. But I was wrong. When weather became warmer recently, I spotted CoCo coming out and bathe the sun, then disappear. For the past week, I have no clue where he might be.

My enclosure is secure. The only incident I had was one tortoise got taken out by wild animals at night. I was surprised to see her walking around OUTSIDE my enclosure one morning and rushed to get her inside while noticing some teeth biting on the shell. Since then I have secured the enclosure with higher brick fence. I also have a motion detected lights on now to scare away any wild animal like fox, racoons. So my tortoises have been very safe for the past 4 or 5 months.

So where can CoCo go? I have a feeling that he is digging deep and hiding somewhere. I cannot believe he would escape or capable of escaping the fence (up or under). There are many secured cave/hole/house for them to stay at night so I hope no wild animal taking him.

I keep my finger crossed hoping that he is just hiding somewhere. He is usually the smartest among all, very strong or amazingly strong when you hold him in hand and he struggles.

Any tip to locate him? I just want to be sure I know where he is.

Attachments

• 20120919_090215.jpg
    20120919_090215.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 20120919_090305.jpg
    20120919_090305.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 125

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The thing about steppe tortoises is, when they are ready to dig in for the winter, they push the dirt behind them, effectively closing in their chamber and making it very difficult to find where they are. One way to find them is to get down on your hands and knees and push your fingers into the soil, covering the whole pen, until you find the soft dirt where they are. Or, you can flood the pen, making them come up.

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
Thanks for the tip, Yvonne. I have dug deep at two spots that my tortoises dug. I got down at least 1 feet deep and gently drilled further down without feeling that I have touched anything like their shells. So I am at loss if he did not go into one of the burrows. But look around, I could not find any disturbance on the surface to investigate further. I will try again next week. Sometimes they could just be at the most obvious spot.

At the same time, I am praying it is not any wild animal who might have taken him - I really doubt that but that idea hangs on my head.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
They are experts in these digging things... I would not flood the pen- if enough dirt closing the tunnel behind him, it would be maybe impossible to digg back without drowning (?)... plus, the mud is more difficult than granulated ground, their frontlegs are not suited too good for that.
It is maybe the case when he will smile at you somewhere in April, from under a very dirty carapace, in good shape and with shining eyes...

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
Today's temperature dropped so I went out collected all my tortoises and put inside except CoCo. He has not shown himself for the past two weeks now. My other tortoises were also digging and hiding when temperature drops, but it is either shallow or easy to be found. CoCo was pretty good in the past where I would have hard time locating him. I am hoping that he did find a great hiding spot deep down there. Still wish to know where he might be so I can put some elements for protection (sheet, blanket, covers whatever from cold, frost, rain/water/snow and etc.) on the top.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hope you find Coco. If not soon then in the spring, safe and sound and happy for the winter to be over.

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
It has been 6 months since I saw CoCo last time. Colorado has been getting warmer. Today is a sunny day about 60F outside and I happened to look outside checking my outdoor enclosure, with a slight hope that something could happen.

And yes, I saw a small yellowish/brownish little creature at the end of the enclosure sunbathing. Amazed and disbelieving, I went out and took a couple of pictures. That is CoCo after a long winter hibernation and coming out for the first time.

I am very excited to see him again. Last year when CoCo disappeared, I have tried the hardest to find him in the enclosure but failed. I was really worried that the fox which lingers around my yard may have taken him because I had done such a thorough search throughout the enclosure and have found no sign of CoCo.

samsungmobile 127.jpg
samsungmobile 128.jpg
samsungmobile 129.jpg
samsungmobile 130.jpg
samsungmobile 135.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
what a little stinker!! lol at least he got himself some sleep and came around okay!!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
The little troublemaker! Thrilled that hes ok and well rested!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am so glad you found him. I bet it just made your day to see him safe and sound sunbathing in his enclosure. :D

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
So glad this little adventure had a happy ending! My friend Lynne here in town had something similar happen... and her tortoise just made its first appearance back above earth earlier this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.