Noob Samm & Baxter

Status
Not open for further replies.

samm

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
iowa
Hi there! Baxter Nomfrog, my hermann's tortoise,and I are new! I've had him for almost a year and just want to make sure I am taking care of him correctly. He eats "t-rex tortoise dry formula" everyday and once a week gets something special such as a peeled grape, tomato, fruit, etc. Should i sprinkle calcium powder on his food everyday? He has calcium sand, a pool, a log house and lots of toys. He also has a UV and heat lamp I turn on every morning and off every night.

Just wanna make sure my beautiful baby boy is getting the best care. Any advice if appreciated! :):cool::tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Samm, and welcome to the Forum!

I think you should start trying to incorporate some fresh greens into his diet. You can buy a head of escarole this shopping trip, and when that's gone or starts to wilt (you can eat it too), then next time buy a head of endive. You can go on this way, buying a different head or bunch of greens each time, and give him a more varied diet from just the manufactured diet.

PapS

5 Year Member
Syros, Greece
Yvonne gave you sound advice. No pet store mix is a substitute for live plants. Make sure they don't have pesticides or fertilizers and you should be fine. Also, tell us what species your tortoise is. Or even better, post some pics, we can help you with better advice then.

This has a lot of common plants, cultivated or weeds. So if you pick out wild plants be sure to consult it before feeding him. If there is a plant you can't find just ask here for an ID. We'll do our best to provide one...

LoverOfTorts

5 Year Member
You can put your lights on a powestrip timer...so much easier for you! :) I got mine at Petsmart...it's nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.