Normal behaviour? (summertime slow down)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Does your condo have Air Conditioning? If lowering the thermostat is not an option then try putting one of the frozen freezer blocks above the cool end of your Russians enclosure.

Soak with baby food in the water.

Beware of the vitamin injections can overwhelm the tort; some keepers have expressed thought that the vitamin injections caused death of their tortoise.

Also, try making one side of your substrate very moist. Use coco coir, fully wet it and then squeeze out excess moisture and put it on one side of the enclosure. I try just one side because it gives the tort a choice of moisture levels just like have a cool end and a basking end gives the tort a choice of temperatures. So, your enclosure will have 4 micro conditions, 1/4 moist and warm, 1/4 dryer and warm, 1/4 moist and cooler, and 1/4 dryer and cooler. Do not go below 75 degrees with moist conditions. (But for this weather I do not think that will be a problem.)

Does your tort have a low sided water dish that he can climb in and out of? If not add a terra cotta planter base with water and place it level with the substrate.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
For feeding, try feeding some radicchio, Belgian endive, or some dandelion flowers and leaves. Those seem to be the favorites for my torts.

Good luck!

vanisle09

No air conditioning. I will try the 4 microclimate suggestion and I may turn the heat light off for a day and see what happens. I am also gonna try to get some mazuri just so he will eat something.