How much poo is normal for a horsfield?

Sheldonmax

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hello I was just wondering how much poo is normal? I have had him for just over a week and he has been doing 1 most days (only on the carpet never in bath or his house) yesterday he did a big poo then 3/4 little ones straight after. I have been told he is approximately 9 month old. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Lol I would be more worried if he wasn't pooping. How does the poop look? runny? My tort poops and poops
Sometimes in a pile, sometimes strung out like a tootsie roll.

Sheldonmax

England
It's quite firm was just worried about the amount ! Any ideas why he only poops out side of his house? X

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
I know mine likes to do his thing under the heat lights so I have the idea he is upping his inside temp to
Poop. I know they have to be at a certain temp to digest food. So he might just like that spot to feel comfy when he goes. The amount is just the amount that needed to come out. I'm sure he is fine

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Ps. I'm not a vet I just play one on the internet. Lol. Just joking. Um I'm new at all this myself. I've just read a lot on this forum . its a wonderful place. we are being monitored by professionals. There is a wonderful lady on here that watches things and @Tom and others all will be happy to help anytime

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello I was just wondering how much poo is normal? I have had him for just over a week and he has been doing 1 most days (only on the carpet never in bath or his house) yesterday he did a big poo then 3/4 little ones straight after. I have been told he is approximately 9 month old. Any help would be greatly appreciated

One poop a day is normal for one that is eating well and active.

Your tortoise should not be loose in the house, or down on the carpet. Please read these for some tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thankyou we will just keep checking for land mines in the carpet x

I'll suggest again that you not have your tortoise loose on the floor. It is not safe down there and many tortoises are killed or injured by this practice. We just had a member accidentally kill her baby just a few months ago right here on this forum. Please reconsider.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Nothing like the smell of tortoise pee in a rug that you can never get out. Nothing like regret when something goes wrong. The voices of experience say don't allow your tortoise loose in the house. Upgrade your habitat, and build an outdoor one for summer.