Not eating

Marcus Harrison

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
I have a Russian Tortoise who is 3 years old who has stopped eating over the last week.

There’s no sign of runny eyes, yawning or runny nose but temperatures may be on the low side at night.. it is hard to check.

Under the basking bulb it’s in the 90’s (F)
And in the 80’s elsewhere
This morning before the lights came on it was in the 60’s so this is probably the best measure of the night temperatures.

I have cleaned the whole tank out and put fresh in and I’m getting a new heat mat as soon as.. I gave some cucumber because I know that she likes it andView attachment 233643View attachment 233644 this morning and she ate some of that but didn’t eat the lettuce..

She went out in the back garden today and ran around for 5 mins but I did t want to leave her any longer as is cold here in the UK. She’s been fairly active today but still no eating. Any ideas guys?

IMG_3261.jpgIMG_3257.jpg

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
I have a Russian Tortoise who is 3 years old who has stopped eating over the last week.

There’s no sign of runny eyes, yawning or runny nose but temperatures may be on the low side at night.. it is hard to check.

Under the basking bulb it’s in the 90’s (F)
And in the 80’s elsewhere
This morning before the lights came on it was in the 60’s so this is probably the best measure of the night temperatures.

I have cleaned the whole tank out and put fresh in and I’m getting a new heat mat as soon as.. I gave some cucumber because I know that she likes it andView attachment 233643View attachment 233644 this morning and she ate some of that but didn’t eat the lettuce..

She went out in the back garden today and ran around for 5 mins but I did t want to leave her any longer as is cold here in the UK. She’s been fairly active today but still no eating. Any ideas guys?

View attachment 233641View attachment 233642
Some of her food:
IMG_3249.jpgIMG_3245.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I don't know how they grow iceberg lettuce in the UK, but in the US, they use so many chemicals it isn't recommended for any animal. At any rate, it has little nutritive value.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I don't know how they grow iceberg lettuce in the UK, but in the US, they use so many chemicals it isn't recommended for any animal. At any rate, it has little nutritive value.

I agree the iceburg has no value but the three other items in that mix are all recommended chicories. If the price is decent, it might be worthwhile tossing out the iceberg and feeding the rest. With one exception I haven’t seen a bagged salad in the US with that much chicory and I’d prefer them to some of the soft lettuces in that second bag.

Marcus has two similar threads running right now. He’s getting a handle on some heating issues in the other one. :) He’s got some diet improvements to make as well once he gets the rest sorted our. More fiber!