Not sure if He is normal

kirdy

My Russian Henry has been very mellow since I got him a week ago. He walks a lot when I take him out of his enclosure (which is small right now because I am working on building him a big one)... Iv bathed him twice since I got him, been trying to feed him right and spraying his bark with water to TRY and keep it humid, but I live in Central Oregon and it's super dry here... I left for work 8 hours ago and found Henry in the exact same position under his log... I held him to make sure he is alive and he reacts but then just wants to close his eyes.. I'm so afraid, I'm new to taking care of reptiles in general and I'm so afraid he will die on me!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Is Henry a baby tortoise? Babies do sleep a lot. If he is a baby tortoise daily warm soaks are necessary. Can you post a picture of his enclosure? What kind of lighting are you housing for Henry? Do you use coil bulbs? If so, they are pretty bad for tortoises eyes and can cause blindness. What are your temperatures? We can help you more if there is a picture and more info on his enclosure. Do you let him walk around your house? It can be dangerous if you do because the temperature is much different on the ground and he can be getting a draft. Also Henry could have possibly ingested something small which is making him not feel well. But if you give us more info., we will help you :) as I don't keep Russian torts, others will chime in to help you out too!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Remember tortoises often need adjustment time to a new enclosure. but please answer R/S/T's questions.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Howdy Kirdy. I'm over here in the valley. I'm thinking your temps are too low. If you don't have one, go to Bi-Mart and pick up a digital thermometer with a wired probe. These are good because you can place the end wherever you want to check the temps. If you've already got one, what are your temps?

kirdy

I know it's a not a good enclosure and I am really in need of something bigger. I'm not sure how old Henry it. He's 4 inches and Russian.. Does anyone know how old that is?? I bought a thermometer/ hydrometer but I don't think it works. Anyways I'd love your critiques or if there is a better temporary enclosure I can be keeping him in! I'm building him a wood enclosure in early December with my dad. OH and it looks like my temps are 90*F under the basking light and 60% humidity

Last edited:

kirdy

Attachments

• image(1).jpeg
    image(1).jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image(1).jpeg
    image(1).jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 21

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
yea the enclosure is way to small. torts are very curious animals and they love to explore but the enclosure is to small for him to move around. we really need to know the temps in his enclosure, like cowboy said he might be to cold. what type of lights are you using?

kirdy

I'm using a single UVA/UVB bulb 125W Solar Glow and then a red light at night on the opposite end. It's about 100* F under his light and 50% humidity. I wet down his bark daily to try and keep up the humidity. Maybe I'll try to go find a larger temporary enclosure, cause I do feel bad he is living in that tiny little thing for the past week =/

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
100° for the basking spot is good. You shoot for 95 200 usually. The other end of the enclosure can be room temperature, maybe 70°. you can get a Rubbermaid bin, I got a 54 gallon one from Home Depot. The important part is the floorspace, not the fights. It doesn't need to be more than a foot tall but you are going for as big a length and width as you can get. One of the bins will work just fine temporarily until you can build him a nice big table. and then in the spring you can build an outdoor enclosure but for now just get the indoor one going. you can also use stock tanks from the feed store. give him some time to adjust, so Kim every two or three days. To keep them from hibernating in the winter you have to keep the temperatures warm and the lights on 12 to 14 hours a day. Otherwise they want to hibernate. Even if they don't hibernate it is normal for them to slow down a little bit in the winter.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Also you could use one of those blue kiddie pools if you can find one this time of year. Check craigslist or garage sales. With kiddie pools, you don't want anything near the side he might climb up because the sides are so low. Right now, places should be having sales on those plastic Xmas tree storage boxes or wrapping paper storage tubs.
And yes, 200° would be too hot. Lol.

kirdy

Thanks guys! I went and got him a much bigger shallow bin! He loves it! Wondering around much more! I went to the local reptile expert and he taught me a lot about feeding Henry and taking care of him! I'm so thankful for all your help =)