Freezing Without Blanching

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Last week someone dropped off these KIMG3660.JPGKIMG3661.JPGSo I did an online search for the easiest way to freeze the tomatoes and peppers. It's easier than I expected so I froze them. Today someone dropped all this by.KIMG3674.JPGSo I did another search on freezing squash. It's the same way as freezing peppers. I wish I knew how easy it was to do a long time ago. Made applesauce with apples using the insta pot. It's like eating an apple pie without the crust.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, how lucky.
I have just placed jalapenos peppers in freezer bags and froze. Did nothing to them. I have done the same in the past with tomatoes. Never froze squash.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I like tray freezing and then storing in plastic bags. You can take them out as much as you need. I've only done green tomatoes that way. That's a nice gift. I would probably rather do the ripe tomatoes in jars though so they don't take up room in the freezer.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Wow, how lucky.
I have just placed jalapenos peppers in freezer bags and froze. Did nothing to them. I have done the same in the past with tomatoes. Never froze squash.
I've frozen blanched squash before and it did fine. Yesterday I cut and laid some slices on parchment paper separated on cookie sheets for a few hours until frozen. Then put them in 1/2 gallon freezer bags. I'll thaw some out in a few days to see how they did.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I like tray freezing and then storing in plastic bags. You can take them out as much as you need. I've only done green tomatoes that way. That's a nice gift. I would probably rather do the ripe tomatoes in jars though so they don't take up room in the freezer.
I love fried green tomatoes

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The bad thing with canning them in jars is if it gets screwed up, you don't know it sometimes until too late and then you just have to throw them out. Freezing is safer. But yes, takes up freezer space unless you have an extra freezer.

Len B

10 Year Member!
The bad thing with canning them in jars is if it gets screwed up, you don't know it sometimes until too late and then you just have to throw them out. Freezing is safer. But yes, takes up freezer space unless you have an extra freezer.
This is what my freezer looks like today. KIMG3676.JPGKIMG3675.JPGAbout 90% of this is for my pups. I stock up when meats are on sale or reduced in price. Last week Food Lion had both Boston butts and chicken thighs for .99 a pound. So I bought about 40 pounds of butts and a little over 50 pounds of chicken thighs. I cut the butts into steak size pieces and then freeze. I go through a lot of meat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is what my freezer looks like today. View attachment 380004View attachment 380005About 90% of this is for my pups. I stock up when meats are on sale or reduced in price. Last week Food Lion had both Boston butts and chicken thighs for .99 a pound. So I bought about 40 pounds of butts and a little over 50 pounds of chicken thighs. I cut the butts into steak size pieces and then freeze. I go through a lot of meat.
Nice size freezer. It's good to keep them full, cheaper to run.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
This is what my freezer looks like today. View attachment 380004View attachment 380005About 90% of this is for my pups. I stock up when meats are on sale or reduced in price. Last week Food Lion had both Boston butts and chicken thighs for .99 a pound. So I bought about 40 pounds of butts and a little over 50 pounds of chicken thighs. I cut the butts into steak size pieces and then freeze. I go through a lot of meat.
Looks great to me.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
So Len B you must cook your own dog food. Do you have any good recipes? I have a little dog with finicky taste buds. He'll eat a new dry dog food about one time and then won't touch it again. He's 8 months and I'm still trying to find his favorite. A five pound bag of dry will last probably 6 months and I don't feel like feeding him stale food. A regular can of soft food will last a week. By the end of it he won't touch it and yet he gains and is healthy, active, and drives me half crazy. His favorite treat is a new toy.🤔😂

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So Len B you must cook your own dog food. Do you have any good recipes? I have a little dog with finicky taste buds. He'll eat a new dry dog food about one time and then won't touch it again. He's 8 months and I'm still trying to find his favorite. A five pound bag of dry will last probably 6 months and I don't feel like feeding him stale food. A regular can of soft food will last a week. By the end of it he won't touch it and yet he gains and is healthy, active, and drives me half crazy. His favorite treat is a new toy.🤔😂
Keep the dry food in the freezer, this will keep it fresher. Can food in frig. Sometimes adding water or broth to the dry helps or heating both the dry and can.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Keep the dry food in the freezer, this will keep it fresher. Can food in frig. Sometimes adding water or broth to the dry helps or heating both the dry and can.
I keep the canned in a sealed container in the fridge but I will try keeping the dry in the freezer. Mr Fre is just a picky little person though and I'll have to find the right dry food first. It's a good thing pet smart will take food back for a refund when your pet won't eat it though. I hate to abuse 😉them too much. 😜So a lot of the dry food I've bought I just give to family members so their dog can have a treat.😜 he's been munching a little on Authority (Pet Smart brand) All stages. It's interesting that his litter mate Sammy liked it too when he visited. My brother said it's the first time he's went after a dog food since he's had him. I just kept filling up the little dish because it's for sure I have plenty.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I keep the canned in a sealed container in the fridge but I will try keeping the dry in the freezer. Mr Fre is just a picky little person though and I'll have to find the right dry food first. It's a good thing pet smart will take food back for a refund when your pet won't eat it though. I hate to abuse 😉them too much. 😜So a lot of the dry food I've bought I just give to family members so their dog can have a treat.😜 he's been munching a little on Authority (Pet Smart brand) All stages. It's interesting that his litter mate Sammy liked it too when he visited. My brother said it's the first time he's went after a dog food since he's had him. I just kept filling up the little dish because it's for sure I have plenty.
They always go after another dogs food. I have never met a dog that won't eat another dogs food. It's too funny. It can be a food they don't like, but if it's another dogs food, they will eat it like it's the best they ever had lol

Len B

10 Year Member!
I don't have any recipes but I can give you a partial list of what I cook for them. I think the most important ingredients are organs like chicken liver, gizzards, and hearts. Beef and calf liver also. The meats I buy are chicken (all parts except necks) different cuts of beef. I get good prices on mostly ground beef. Like today I bought 7 pounds of ground chuck for $ 2.29 a pound KIMG3677.JPGthe others are ground round, 73% beef, and sirloin. Different cuts of pork mostly Boston butts and pork chops. Turkey, ham, turkey, beef, and the mixed meat hot dogs. Carrots, green beans and white rice. I used to use brown rice but it doesn't absorb the fatty broth from one of the other cooked meats like white rice does. If you can find these they are healthy treats for small dogs KIMG3679.JPGIf I was feeding one tiny pup I would try some of the fresh pet foods. I also look for American products. If it wasn't for Food Lions sales and the butchers at Halls store I couldn't afford to feed my pups the way I do. Tumeric is good for dogs too.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don't have any recipes but I can give you a partial list of what I cook for them. I think the most important ingredients are organs like chicken liver, gizzards, and hearts. Beef and calf liver also. The meats I buy are chicken (all parts except necks) different cuts of beef. I get good prices on mostly ground beef. Like today I bought 7 pounds of ground chuck for $ 2.29 a pound View attachment 380049the others are ground round, 73% beef, and sirloin. Different cuts of pork mostly Boston butts and pork chops. Turkey, ham, turkey, beef, and the mixed meat hot dogs. Carrots, green beans and white rice. I used to use brown rice but it doesn't absorb the fatty broth from one of the other cooked meats like white rice does. If you can find these they are healthy treats for small dogs View attachment 380050If I was feeding one tiny pup I would try some of the fresh pet foods. I also look for American products. If it wasn't for Food Lions sales and the butchers at Halls store I couldn't afford to feed my pups the way I do. Tumeric is good for dogs too.
Both of the pet stores I go to do have fresh available. I think I will check into that. At first I didn't think it would be affordable but... no more than he eats it would be fine and less time consuming. Plus it may give me some recipe ideas that are nutritious for dogs. He only eats the amount he wants. Some days he eats a lot. Other days he just nibbles on some dry. I wish I could find one with larger chunks. That's his favorite. Even though he's very tiny (only about 8 1/2 lbs.) the inside of his mouth is big. He loves to play with and crunch the bigger chunks. Alpo Prime cuts was how I found that out. I think they've discontinued that dog food though and I've not been able to find anything with a similar size chunk. Thanks for your help.😊

Len B

10 Year Member!
Both of the pet stores I go to do have fresh available. I think I will check into that. At first I didn't think it would be affordable but... no more than he eats it would be fine and less time consuming. Plus it may give me some recipe ideas that are nutritious for dogs. He only eats the amount he wants. Some days he eats a lot. Other days he just nibbles on some dry. I wish I could find one with larger chunks. That's his favorite. Even though he's very tiny (only about 8 1/2 lbs.) the inside of his mouth is big. He loves to play with and crunch the bigger chunks. Alpo Prime cuts was how I found that out. I think they've discontinued that dog food though and I've not been able to find anything with a similar size chunk. Thanks for your help.😊
Some grocery stores carry it, may be less expensive there.