Not walking

Chasetort

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hey guys I took my Russian tortoise to the vet last Wednesday to get her beak trimmed, which first of all they barley took any of her beak off, and they used a drumel to get it down. But my tortoise doesn’t seem to be walking right her front legs are barely able to move her self. And before the visit she was walking like crazy. She loved to be moving. Now she kinda drags herself to walk. Do you think they injured her legs while getting to her head? I’m very worried and this was the same reason I didn’t want to take her to the vet to begin with. Am I over reacting, do I need to give her more time?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
Did they use any sedation to do the beak trimming?

How do you keep her (soaking, temperatures day/night)? Does she have an UVB light (and what kind) or access to the natural sunlight? Is she eating/pooping well?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Were you watching when the beak trimming was being done?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hey guys I took my Russian tortoise to the vet last Wednesday to get her beak trimmed, which first of all they barley took any of her beak off, and they used a drumel to get it down. But my tortoise doesn’t seem to be walking right her front legs are barely able to move her self. And before the visit she was walking like crazy. She loved to be moving. Now she kinda drags herself to walk. Do you think they injured her legs while getting to her head? I’m very worried and this was the same reason I didn’t want to take her to the vet to begin with. Am I over reacting, do I need to give her more time?
It sounds as though this could be a bad reaction to being anesthetized. Hopefully the tortoise wasn't injured somehow during the beak trimming, but either way, it could take quite a long time to get better (and here I mean several weeks or even months rather than days).

Hopefully it will go away soon, but still be prepared to give it plenty of time.

Chasetort

Illinois
Hello!
Did they use any sedation to do the beak trimming?

How do you keep her (soaking, temperatures day/night)? Does she have an UVB light (and what kind) or access to the natural sunlight? Is she eating/pooping well?
Yes she does all of that and sedation was not used. Temperatures are good nice and warm, and uvb in inclosure

Chasetort

Illinois
It sounds as though this could be a bad reaction to being anesthetized. Hopefully the tortoise wasn't injured somehow during the beak trimming, but either way, it could take quite a long time to get better (and here I mean several weeks or even months rather than days).

Hopefully it will go away soon, but still be prepared to give it plenty of time.
She wasn’t sedated, I feel so bad I feel like they hurt her :( they had to pry her front legs out to reach in and get her head out.

Chasetort

Illinois

Thank you. I really hope so too but anesthesia was not used. Hoping she wasn’t injured. I will never take her to a vet again. I don’t trust them. I feel like they really don’t care about your animals health.

Shad114!

OH
Yes she does all of that and sedation was not used. Temperatures are good nice and warm, and uvb in inclosu

Shad114!

OH
When I adopted my redfoot, he was diagnosed as paralyzed after being hit by a truck. I started doing some aqua therapy in a large bucket-not too deep with constant supervision-and he eventually started moving. Now, about a year later-he’s actually speedy-all 4 limbs have gotten muscle mass back.
I know your situation is totally different, but if he pulled a muscle of something-aqua therapy may help him move his legs easier until it’s better.
Also, Happy Birthday!
1711385059394.jpeg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yes she does all of that and sedation was not used. Temperatures are good nice and warm, and uvb in inclosure
Sounds good. Give her some time to recover from stress, I hope she will be fine.

Aquatherapy as suggested above might work. You may give it a try if you don't see an improvement in a few days.

Sorry, about your experience with the vet. This, unfortunately, happens more often than it should... There are some really good knowledgeable and caring exotics vets, so maybe someday you will find one.

And happy birthday!

Chasetort

Illinois
When I adopted my redfoot, he was diagnosed as paralyzed after being hit by a truck. I started doing some aqua therapy in a large bucket-not too deep with constant supervision-and he eventually started moving. Now, about a year later-he’s actually speedy-all 4 limbs have gotten muscle mass back.
I know your situation is totally different, but if he pulled a muscle of something-aqua therapy may help him move his legs easier until it’s better.
Also, Happy Birthday!
View attachment 368466
HA what a cutie! But wow that is so amazing and I am so happy that she was able to recover from that! Thanks incredible. I will give that a try :) thank you.

Chasetort

Illinois
Sounds good. Give her some time to recover from stress, I hope she will be fine.

Aquatherapy as suggested above might work. You may give it a try if you don't see an improvement in a few days.

Sorry, about your experience with the vet. This, unfortunately, happens more often than it should... There are some really good knowledgeable and caring exotics vets, so maybe someday you will find one.

And happy birthday!
Thank you thank you! :)