Novice tortoise (almost) owner in meed of ADVICE

ilovepuppies4

Location (City and/or State)
Sandy
Hello!

I am a soon-to-be mom of a tortoise or box turtle and I would love some friendly input/ advice!

My heart is set and I need a tortoise in my life, and although this is new to me, I am carefully planning out all that I will need to provide a happy and healthy forever home for my buddy. I live in the Oregon forests, where it is humid and COLD from October through April. May through September are nice and warm (usually). In short, I have the outdoor and indoor space for a tortoise, but I'm afraid my climate won't do, even with extra measures? For reference, it is not uncommon for a winter day here to bring a foot of snow and close to freezing temperatures. I can provide an ample outdoor space, but I need some advice as to whether or not I should have a tortoise outside in the fall and winter months at all? If it's doable and in the best interest of the tortoise, what measures should I take to make it a safe and inviting outdoor atmosphere? I.e... how would I make it co.fortable for the tortoise? Or should I plan on keeping it indoors only in the colder months?

As for its indoor enclosure, my dad built me a 3' x 5' open table that is 18" deep, with a built-in hide hut. With the research that I've done, I believe that a 48" t5 uv bulb is what I'll do for it's uv needs and a full-time CHE (or two) for it's heat.

My next question is given this indoor set up, what breed(s) would you recommend? I realize this space is not the biggest in the world, but it's what can safely fit in my home, away from the cats and dogs. I plan to bring it outside at least in the warmer months, so it will have much more space available.

Thank you in advance for your friendly advice!!!
Rebecca

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
Hello!

I am a soon-to-be mom of a tortoise or box turtle and I would love some friendly input/ advice!

My heart is set and I need a tortoise in my life, and although this is new to me, I am carefully planning out all that I will need to provide a happy and healthy forever home for my buddy. I live in the Oregon forests, where it is humid and COLD from October through April. May through September are nice and warm (usually). In short, I have the outdoor and indoor space for a tortoise, but I'm afraid my climate won't do, even with extra measures? For reference, it is not uncommon for a winter day here to bring a foot of snow and close to freezing temperatures. I can provide an ample outdoor space, but I need some advice as to whether or not I should have a tortoise outside in the fall and winter months at all? If it's doable and in the best interest of the tortoise, what measures should I take to make it a safe and inviting outdoor atmosphere? I.e... how would I make it co.fortable for the tortoise? Or should I plan on keeping it indoors only in the colder months?

As for its indoor enclosure, my dad built me a 3' x 5' open table that is 18" deep, with a built-in hide hut. With the research that I've done, I believe that a 48" t5 uv bulb is what I'll do for it's uv needs and a full-time CHE (or two) for it's heat.

My next question is given this indoor set up, what breed(s) would you recommend? I realize this space is not the biggest in the world, but it's what can safely fit in my home, away from the cats and dogs. I plan to bring it outside at least in the warmer months, so it will have much more space available.

Thank you in advance for your friendly advice!!!
Rebecca
As you said, the indoor enclosure is not ideal but if it is just for the winter is should be ok. I would look into russian or hermanns tortoises because from what your saying, I think those species would fit you the best. You should make sure that they have a large outdoor enclosure with lots of enrichment such as safe and edible plants and lots of 2 way entrance hideouts.

tgirl23

Southern California
I would get a breed that hibernates. Hermann tortoises have such outgoing personalities and stay relatively small. Russians are fun too but they seem to be great escape artist, they do like a lot of room to wander. Our Russian sleeps through the winter which makes it a lot easier to deal with colder weather. Russians are also pretty hardy. Are you thinking of getting a hatchling or an adult? Your enclosure will be fine if its a hatchling. Good luck with whatever you choose and keep us posted.

ilovepuppies4

Sandy
As you said, the indoor enclosure is not ideal but if it is just for the winter is should be ok. I would look into russian or hermanns tortoises because from what your saying, I think those species would fit you the best. You should make sure that they have a large outdoor enclosure with lots of enrichment such as safe and edible plants and lots of 2 way entrance hideouts.

Thank you!
In terms of the outdoor space, with temps near freezing in the winter, should I attempt the outdoor housing during that time? Apart from the secure ground space/ plants, what does an outdoor house consist of? I.e. is it a dog house with a heat lamp and/ or pad? Or...? Whether or not I house it outside in the winter I am in the process of drawing up plans for some type of shelter in my yard. I would love any ideas as I have no idea where to start with outdoor housing!

ilovepuppies4

Sandy
I would get a breed that hibernates. Hermann tortoises have such outgoing personalities and stay relatively small. Russians are fun too but they seem to be great escape artist, they do like a lot of room to wander. Our Russian sleeps through the winter which makes it a lot easier to deal with colder weather. Russians are also pretty hardy. Are you thinking of getting a hatchling or an adult? Your enclosure will be fine if its a hatchling. Good luck with whatever you choose and keep us posted.

Thank you! I wanted to get an adult or juvenile, as I am not 100% confident on raising a fragile hatchling. That's my worry, my enclosure. I can only keep it in our guest room as it's the only room in the house that is free of dogs and cats. It's a small room as-is, so the table is literally as big as we can afford (space-wise). I actually moved around furniture to accomodate the biggest table possible (which is the 5' x 3' x 18" deep that I had built). So it sounds like the table enclosure is just too small for a tortoise? :(

tgirl23

Southern California
I would definitely check out a hermann then. If you check out the hermann forum there will be a ton of ideas on how to make it work!