Observations Russian Tortoises Outside

Jrob

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
Here are a few observations about my Russians while outside. The male and two females have an outdoor enclosure 12 x 8 and the baby enclosure is 5 x 6. I only have them outside during daylight. These enclosures are temporary and will be making permanent enclosures next year based on my observations and ideas from this forum.

1. Way more active outside especially the baby. She sleeps much more inside.
2. It was misting the other day and all the tortoises stayed in the open instead of getting under cover. I give them baths, but they are not big fans of it. I will have to put them out when it is raining harder to see what they do.
3. It's funny in the big enclosure how the tortoises will go over each other instead of around the other tortoise. The two females are normally together, while the male is busy eating.
4. The baby (Lucky) gave me a heart attack the other day. I could not find her and with a secured top and no way for her to dig to the outside. Lucky dug under the transplanted weeds and was hiding in the dirt.
5. The tortoises are extremely active on cloudy days especially Lucky.
6. I have noticed the tortoises prefer certain hiding spaces over others. The one that is a mini underground cave is their favorite. Sometimes, I find all three but normally that is where my females are when it is time to go in for the night.

Every day is different with these guys. The last thing I can say is even a few hours a day outside will make a big difference in your tortoises's life.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree torts are more active outside. It's a more natural place for them. I always figured they are so active looking for more space to roam no matter how much you give them, they think it's always better on the other side of the enclosure fence or walls LOL.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I can't imagine my tortoise living outside, to be honest. She's in a large "enclosure" and uses every space, every angle, every plant during the day. And so active! Until summer comes, anyway. Then she's just chilling somewhere.

Jrob

San Antonio, Texas
I will mist their outdoor enclosure when it is hot. Never fails, they come out from their hiding places and walk around. It is funny watching my big female stick her head out and looking around, like where did the water go.

Jrob

San Antonio, Texas
Few More Observations
1. Rained hard today and all 3 adults were out in the open hiding in the grass.
2. The baby burrows deeper than the adults. Part of the reason, maybe the mini cave for the adults. When inside, the adults do not always hide in the substrate.
3. I was giving just a little bit of cactus, but the adults love it. Glad I have a lot more growing.