Lethargic Russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
So, my Russian..... Mr. Tortoise as my son calls him, has been pretty much hiding since I got him. I let him have like a few dAys to adjust, his temps are great, he is eating twice a day. Getting soaked twice a day and tomorrow will be his first time outside since I got him. Should he be more active?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
russians as a rule are very active. Has he ever been checked for parasites?

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
Yes. We are waiting for the results, they said they would be back Friday but never called. I will call them tomorrow

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Russians are funny. They can take several weeks to adjust to new surroundings (IF that is what they decide). Sounds like he is OK because he is eating, etc. If your temps are ok, and he is not trying to burrow to get cooler, then it is just a matter of waiting.
I can confirm that once they are outside, and allowed to choose their schedule, they are like different creatures.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
well, he did make a burrow in his log.....his temps have been staying around 95-105 during the day and getting to 70 ish at night....but if i notice its 105 i will dim the ligt a bit, so he doesnt get too hot.it would seem that i need to set his enclosure up differently, so he can regulate better?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I would say try to get the basking area close to 95, and 'cool' day time area at 70 at most. Mine did ok with the night temps go down to the low 60's when they were inside. They seem to need that gradient change.
Right now, they stay outside full time, and temps at night are into the high 50's but warm up midday. They are thriving.
I kinda think they like to be cooler at night, and have cool area options during the day, with a nice basking spot to move in and out of.
Make sure you are using an accurate thermometer: digital, or an infared.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
Give him some time to get adjusted to his new house. All of my Russians have tsked varying amounts of time to get adjusted. The last one I got took about three weeks to really get used to her new home. I would take her out of her hide every day and put her in her basking spot or soak her and she would just run back and. And 5 months later she is running out of the hide for food in the morning just like the rest of the herd. So just give it time continue to feed and soak and will evntually come around.

Jon

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
Ok. Thanks everyone :) I moved his space around and I picked
Him up and he let me scratch his neck and we are waiting for the sun to come out to go play outside (very well supervised )

cid:A8282702-8D0A-492A-967D-BF668283EFF4/photo.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.