Lethargic Russian tortoise

Nerdylittlebirdie

hello, my Russian tortoise is extremely lethargic, and won't eat. Ive had him for the past 6 years and I've never seen him act like this before. Usually he very sleepy, but perks up when it's feeding time. Also he loves attention, and loves it when I rub his head. But usually he naps the day away. I feed him a mix of kale, Roman lettuce, and carrots. But lately he hasn't been eating, so I have him a nice long bath, and tried to give him some liquid vitamins. He is barely responsive, he is able to lift his head up on his own but he's not moving much. There isn't any eye swelling either...Any suggestions?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
How do you house him? Indoors, outdoors? If indoors, what kind of lighting do you use? How hot is his basking spot? How cool does it get overnight?

Nerdylittlebirdie

He is indoors and I use just a normal uv baskin light. Unfortunately my temperature gage broke off durning my move, but everything has been the same as far as environment wise for the past 6 years

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
How long have you been using the UVB bulb? How high is it mounted? Photos of the enclosure would help.

You really need to get a new thermometer. A cold tortoise is a sick tortoise.

Nerdylittlebirdie

Yeah I do need to get a new thermometer it's been the same UVB light (brand) for the past six years and I doubt they're cold because there is also a box turtle that lives in the same enclosure and is doing very well.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
UVB lamps need to be replaced every 6 - 12 months as they stop producing UVB after that time. If your tortoise hasn't been getting UVB in ~5 years, you may be looking at metabolic bone disease.

A box turtle should not be living with your Russian. How long have they been together? Were they both captive breed or wild caught? The two species have very different behaviours and they also carry different microbes that can make each other sick - they should not be roommates.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
first off you should not mix species. Second is your Russian tortoise captive-bred or wild-caught?

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota

Nerdylittlebirdie

They have been roomies for over 8 years now, I replace the bulbs as needed, what I meant earlier was that I have been using the same brand of bulbs for 5 years. They both are captive bred, I inherited them 5 years ago. Until now, they both have been very healthy happy turtles. After soaking my Russian in the bath and giving him vitamins, he seems to be doing a little better, thank you all for your help and advice, I sincerely appreciate all the help!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He is indoors and I use just a normal uv baskin light. Unfortunately my temperature gage broke off durning my move, but everything has been the same as far as environment wise for the past 6 years
When did you move? Torts don't handle change well and it can take an age for them to settle.

Get yourself a temperature gun thermometer, they're inexpensive from Amazon, so you can measure temperatures accurately and get the basking temperature correct.

Please understand that torts are not social creatures. Another tort is simply competition for food and space. They don't get lonely and don't want, need or particularly like company- that applies to pretty much all species, including yours, and both genders. Keeping pairs is not recommended simply because it always ends eventually in a bully/victim scenario.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Box turtles and Russian tortoises require completely DIFFERENT care and living arrangements. I'm not saying this to be mean, but if you've been keeping a box turtle with a Russian tortoise for the past few years, then the animals have not been taken care of properly for a very long time. It may be convenient for YOU to have them together, but it is detrimental to the animals. Russian tortoises live on the steppe - a large area of flat, dry unforested grassland in southeastern Europe or Siberia. Box turtles live in a mesic woodland - a type of habitat with a moderate or well-balanced supply of moisture.

Please read the care sheets and set each animal up according to the way he needs to be set up to thrive.

Nerdylittlebirdie

So I've discovered the problem, he's very constipated, and I can actually see the back up in his tail down to the cloaca.. Does anyone know what I can do to help him? I've been giving him long warm water soaks, and trying to make him walk as much as he can in the bath, giving him liquid vitamins, only as directed.
please no more criticism about my tortoise's roommate, as this is not the reason for my tortoise being lethargic. I do have a degree studying wildlife and ecology, and know about relationships between species, resource competition, and microbes. I did not go to a pet store to buy these animals and make them live together, they have lived together for almost a decade, and I inherited both of them five years ago. I take care of them, make sure they both are healthy, and give both of them their respected proper nutrition. They have been completely healthy and happy until now. I'm not trying to be disrespectful I'm just trying to care for my tortoise and get information that that will help me now with his current situation.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Put him into the human bathtub (clean it out well and rinse thoroughly before hand). Leave him in there to scramble around, trying to escape, for at least a half hour and longer is even better. If the house is in the 70's, then you won't have to worry about the water getting too cold. Scrambling around in a LARGE tub of water never fails to get a tortoise to poop.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So I've discovered the problem, he's very constipated, and I can actually see the back up in his tail down to the cloaca.. Does anyone know what I can do to help him? I've been giving him long warm water soaks, and trying to make him walk as much as he can in the bath, giving him liquid vitamins, only as directed.
please no more criticism about my tortoise's roommate, as this is not the reason for my tortoise being lethargic. I do have a degree studying wildlife and ecology, and know about relationships between species, resource competition, and microbes. I did not go to a pet store to buy these animals and make them live together, they have lived together for almost a decade, and I inherited both of them five years ago. I take care of them, make sure they both are healthy, and give both of them their respected proper nutrition. They have been completely healthy and happy until now. I'm not trying to be disrespectful I'm just trying to care for my tortoise and get information that that will help me now with his current situation.
tortoises plural? You mean one box turtle one tortoise correct?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tort's diet is kale, carrot and romaine lettuce.

Your Russian tort's diet should be a variety of broadleaf weeds and greens to get fiber into him. They need fiber to poop.

Your Russian tort cannot digest sugars properly - it causes kidney problems, so fruit, carrot, bell pepper and tomato should only be fed occasionally.

Kale should be fed in moderation. It is lower in oxalates than dandelions, but high in goitrogens.

Romaine Lettuce - like all lettuces it is high in water and low in other nutrients and fibre. Again it can be fed in moderation but should not be the main diet.

Your tort needs a wider variety in its diet. I will tag @Yvonne G to come back wit her lovely list of suitable foodstuffs.

Cucumber is also mostly water, but in this case it may also help to encourage your tort to poop.

Lethargy is almost always caused by incorrect temperatures. A Russian tort must have 95F/35C directly under its basking lamp. It basks to raise it caore temperature which in turn means it can digest food (and hence poop) and be active.

Please don't start citing ecology degrees at people on here. People on here want to help you and your tort. They have expertise specifically in tortoises to the extent that will only give detailed advice on the breeds with which they are familiar. They are not lecturing you, just passing on information they know to be correct. Many have spent years trying to correct out of date misunderstandings about care of the species they know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Kybry00

Oxnard
hello, my Russian tortoise is extremely lethargic, and won't eat. Ive had him for the past 6 years and I've never seen him act like this before. Usually he very sleepy, but perks up when it's feeding time. Also he loves attention, and loves it when I rub his head. But usually he naps the day away. I feed him a mix of kale, Roman lettuce, and carrots. But lately he hasn't been eating, so I have him a nice long bath, and tried to give him some liquid vitamins. He is barely responsive, he is able to lift his head up on his own but he's not moving much. There isn't any eye swelling either...Any suggestions? I just figured out