Lethargic

better daisy3063

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia PA
Hello, my little Russian Tort is extremely lethargic and almost never wakes up on his own accord. I took him to the vet and she suggested switching out his substrate, because the reptibark might smell too strong for him. I really can't imagine that this is the only problem. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm extremely worried about him. He is sleeping about 23 hours per day. MVIMG_20190611_095257.jpeg

Bigred1974

Manchester England
I’m afraid I haven’t got the answer but I also have a horsefield who has just turned two that canalso sleep ALOT!
We have only had her 4 weeks.She loves a soak in her tray and has been trying different foods. She has had outside time but we have had such bad rain this past week I haven’t put her outside. I’m doing the temperature and have the light on for 12 hours a day. So I’m like you thinking is this normal or is is worrying?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Hello, my little Russian Tort is extremely lethargic and almost never wakes up on his own accord. I took him to the vet and she suggested switching out his substrate, because the reptibark might smell too strong for him. I really can't imagine that this is the only problem. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm extremely worried about him. He is sleeping about 23 hours per day. View attachment 274550
Please post pictures of your enclosure, temps, what are you feeding, ect. We will help you figure this out.

Bigred1974

Manchester England
Please post pictures of your enclosure, temps, what are you feeding, ect. We will help you figure this out.

Hi Crystal our Horsefield has been woken today at around 9 am, she has warmed up and has ate some buttercups, dandelions and rose leaves. She basked on her slate in 84 degrees for a while then decided to go under her log to bury herself.
By 12 pm her temperature in the middle of the table is 88-89 f.
I have bathed her for a good 20 minutes ( around 4.40) which she likes and she had a drink and a normal poo.
I put her back in her indoor enclosure ( as the weather in bad in U.K. atm) and she had a plod around for 10 minutes before going back In her enclosure in the corner to sleep. She didn’t fancy anything I was offering her food wise. It’s now 6 pm. We use blended substrate for tortoises and feed her fresh food every day and with calcuim every 3 days.
I have ordered some top soil for her as the substrate does dry easily and I am spraying lightly on the soil every day.
I hope this helps? Thanks

Attachments

• 9BD1D656-A7E6-46B8-96AE-8A877A55B213.jpeg
    9BD1D656-A7E6-46B8-96AE-8A877A55B213.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 36138515-0E5A-4F5E-8EA0-90FA3314390A.jpeg
    36138515-0E5A-4F5E-8EA0-90FA3314390A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 736C0F70-7235-4FCC-BEED-56C218BDCA7B.jpeg
    736C0F70-7235-4FCC-BEED-56C218BDCA7B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Ok, I see a few problems right off. The substrate you are using is not recommended. Those white bits in it can cause your tort to try and eat them, not good. Your temps are two low. There should be a warm area of 80 to 90 a cool area of about 70 to 80 and a basking spot of 95 to 100. If they can not warm up their core temp, they will not eat properly. They have to have the basking temp between 95 and 100 to digest food. This alone could be causing your tort to sleep all the time. Please go to our Russian tort section and read the care sheet posted towards the top of the page. It will give you all the up to date info. At this point, I don’t think you need a vet. Make necessary changes and he will improve. By the way, with what your vet said, I would look for a different one. Not all vets are knowledgeable about tortoises and can harm them more then help if they give the wrong things. Also, how big is your enclosure? It should be an 8 by 4 foot enclosure. Russians need plenty space to exercise, which also helps in digestion. Read the care sheet, make needed changes and come back with any concerns or questions, we are here to help.

Bigred1974

Manchester England
Ok, I see a few problems right off. The substrate you are using is not recommended. Those white bits in it can cause your tort to try and eat them, not good. Your temps are two low. There should be a warm area of 80 to 90 a cool area of about 70 to 80 and a basking spot of 95 to 100. If they can not warm up their core temp, they will not eat properly. They have to have the basking temp between 95 and 100 to digest food. This alone could be causing your tort to sleep all the time. Please go to our Russian tort section and read the care sheet posted towards the top of the page. It will give you all the up to date info. At this point, I don’t think you need a vet. Make necessary changes and he will improve. By the way, with what your vet said, I would look for a different one. Not all vets are knowledgeable about tortoises and can harm them more then help if they give the wrong things. Also, how big is your enclosure? It should be an 8 by 4 foot enclosure. Russians need plenty space to exercise, which also helps in digestion. Read the care sheet, make needed changes and come back with any concerns or questions, we are here to help.
Thanks very much. I will change this tomorrow ( it’s night time here atm). Can we use top soil as a substitute? Thanks again

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Top soil from the store is not recommended. There could be anything in it. I use coco core. I don’t think the reptobark you are using is the problem.