odd new growth color

Discusman88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaverton, OR
Recently I have noticed that Scootsies coloring on his growth lines has become a faded dark color. I have never seen it like this before until recently and it doesnt look like new black growth. Is this normal? Everything else is normal it is still very hard.

20150101_180005.jpg 20150101_175944.jpg 1420164630758.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the overall scheme of things, when a leopard tortoise is 'hiding' or resting, they usually choose to do so under a bush. The sun shining down through the bush makes a dappled shade on the ground. The patterning on the leopard tortoise's shell makes him almost invisible in this situation. So he's going to have different shades on his carapace. I see what you're talking about, and I don't think I've ever noticed that before, but then I don't scrutinize my tortoises that closely. Just make sure you're doing everything right, and try not to worry so much. I'd love to see continuing pictures of this tortoise as it grows. It has a beautiful pattern.

Discusman88

5 Year Member
Beaverton, OR
Thanks everyone. I will try to keep posting pictures. He is about two years now and around 8 or 9 inches. Yvonne everything else is on par with the threads on here.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
OMG! He looks alot like the one I just bought! My first Leo. And I was looking at this thread because mine has the weird shaded growth also! Another coincidence? Mine has a HEART on a schute also! Mines 3 years old and 10-11 inches. Freakin WEIRD!
tortoise.JPG