Off to vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Taking my Star tortoise to the vet today. Having a fecal exam. It has not gained weight in 3 months. It is 30 grams. I received it 0n 5/30/11 at 17 grams. on 7/22/11 it went to 33 grams. It stayed within 29-32 in the next 5-6 months. It is now 29 grams. I have another which is 204 grams that I received on 11/10/10 The poop that I have now is about 20 hours old. Unless I get another before I leave, will the vet get any info from this? What else can the vet tell me by just looking at him? He is active,looks good,eats well, and goes under the uvb lamp where it will stay for about an hour.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I do not house this species of tortoise.....I do know that if you hang around a bit others will check in.....I do not know at what rate they put on weight...as some species pig out from the start and pack on the weight quicker than other species....I would also imagine that if you give your vets office a call and ask them how viable the specimen will be at 20+ hours....good luck and I hope your little tort gets a clean bill of health from the vet...:D

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
She found worms. Gave me meds and said it should be fine in a few weeks. Anyone know a good way to give a 30 gram tort liquid meds??

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Perhaps find a fav food (strawberry,banana,squash) and inject/mix the food in....keep the hidden med in a small food offering to make sure it is consumed entirely.....sometimes the parasite meds will cause the tortoise to not want to eat so much so save the yummy sneaky treat for the med only....at least worth a try before you have to force the med...good luck :D

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
I used fruit based baby food when I had to give my tort dewormer

Status
Not open for further replies.