Official introduction of Mojo.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Do you have any helpful tips I've been trying to get it up but the humidity doesn't seem to be holding. The lower layers of bark are soaked. The only thing that has been bringing it up is the mister.
I found that live plants work best. It's fine to keep them in pots.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Incandescent lamp doesn't give UV, it's needed to create basking spot - more warm and lit that other areas of the enclosure.
Redfoots don't need basking spot, however they need constant temperature day and night all year round. And it could be achieved with CHEs (like in Mojo's enclosure) or RHPs (like in mine).

So, in this case putting LED light gives more ambient light and removes "hotspot" (temperatures obviously go down and that's where thermostat with CHEs kicks in to ensure more even heating of the enclosure). And that is more suitable for redfoots.

For UVB source you need floourescent tube lamp (which is present in this enclosure).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you replace the incandescent bulb with the led, what happens to the temperature and how do you get UV light? @Tom . I am curious.
LED bulbs are very efficient compared to CFLs or the old style incandescent bulbs. Incandescent bulb make approximately 80% heat and 20% light with the electricity that is fed into them. LED bulbs make the same light for an estimated 85-90% less electricity, but this also means that that 80% heat thing that happens with incandescent bulb isn't happening. LED bulbs make very little heat. This being the case, they are useless as "basking" bulbs. They are very effective at making good light and not overheating closed chambers.

To answer your question then: Replacing an incandescent bulb with an equivalent LED bulb will remove a heat source from the enclosure, and if the correct type of LED is used, it will improve the quality of the light and make it brighter and "sunnier" in the enclosure.

For a RF that has a different heat source like a CHE or a RHP to maintain the correct temperature, getting rid of an incandescent and replacing it with an LED in a closed chamber is fine and preferable. For species that need a basking area that is warmer than ambient, a LED bulb will not perform this function.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Hello everyone. My name is Buck, I've been on the forum for a little while. I'm officially making my introductions for my Red foot tortoise Mojo. After a lot of changes I have finally corrected the doings of bad information given before finding this forum. Mojo is 7 months old he/she is 6.5cm long and 52g. I just received the new tort condo from Animal plastics it's a 4'x2'x2' it arrived with a broken glass but Ali at Animal plastics is great to deal with they're sending a new one out this week. I have a sheet of plexiglass in there for the moment. I have 2 che to maintain over 80° Temps and a T5 10.0HO tube for the needed UV's on a timer for mid day run for about 4 hours. And currently a 65 watt incandescent bulb for daylight/basking. Still testing the temperatures of it. View attachment 362487View attachment 362488View attachment 362489View attachment 362490View attachment 362491
So nice!

WarrenPeace

Hello everyone. My name is Buck, I've been on the forum for a little while. I'm officially making my introductions for my Red foot tortoise Mojo. After a lot of changes I have finally corrected the doings of bad information given before finding this forum. Mojo is 7 months old he/she is 6.5cm long and 52g. I just received the new tort condo from Animal plastics it's a 4'x2'x2' it arrived with a broken glass but Ali at Animal plastics is great to deal with they're sending a new one out this week. I have a sheet of plexiglass in there for the moment. I have 2 che to maintain over 80° Temps and a T5 10.0HO tube for the needed UV's on a timer for mid day run for about 4 hours. And currently a 65 watt incandescent bulb for daylight/basking. Still testing the temperatures of it. View attachment 362487View attachment 362488View attachment 362489View attachment 362490View attachment 362491
Wow💛