Oh No!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Chevy doesn't seem that interested in food! He is active but all he wants is romaine but I know that is not the healthiest choice so I have been trying to feed him a ground up mixture of aloe, prickley pear, radicchio, alfalfa sprouts, and romaine. He looks interested and then turns in walks away! Is he just in denial???

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Just wait a bit and see if he eats later on. Sometimes they get stubborn and won't eat what you feed them, but eventually he'll get hungry and try it. Most of the time they end up liking it!

moswen

5 Year Member
ditto greg. my torts will eat what's available to them or they won't eat at all... in the end they always choose to eat though. also marty, unless you just really have no other options it is my own humble opinion that you really should never offer romaine, whatever small benefits you may gain from feeding romaine are far outweighed by the negatives.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
thank you for the tips on romaine I was trying to entice him to eat by adding it into the mixture, I will drop it next time. Also I have grassland tort food and I just mushed it up with warm water and Chevy started eating it so I think he is Ok just an overactive mom :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
have you tried hibiscus flowers?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
If healthy, tortoises will not starve themselves. Take away the romaine, he'll eat the other stuff give it time. Bad tortoise food is like cigaretts, they both need to be quit "Cold Turkey"

Marty333

10 Year Member!
I have had him for 1 and a half weeks now and he keeps on fluctuating between 44 to 46 grams he seems to not want to eat as much I stopped feeding the romaine. Do you think he is just lazy because of winter? I live in florida and its starting to cool down but only to like 75-80 degrees. Is he okay?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Marty333 said:
I have had him for 1 and a half weeks now and he keeps on fluctuating between 44 to 46 grams he seems to not want to eat as much I stopped feeding the romaine. Do you think he is just lazy because of winter? I live in florida and its starting to cool down but only to like 75-80 degrees. Is he okay?

Let me ask you this, do you handle him much? I have found that with hatchling tortoises its best to set them up correctly and aside from daily "necessary" routine (feeding, watering, soaking, enclosure cleaning) just leave them alone. Keep thier stress level down.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
You know, I dont want to tell you what to do, its your animal, but all I can say is tortoises are not like cats and dogs, (although some in here think they proliferate like cats........). With them my approach when handling them and watching T.V. is "Less is More". I'm sure someone might tell you "My tortoise loves attention, scratching his neck and watching T.V."
aloha

Marty333

10 Year Member!
onarock said:
You know, I dont want to tell you what to do, its your animal, but all I can say is tortoises are not like cats and dogs, (although some in here think they proliferate like cats........). With them my approach when handling them and watching T.V. is "Less is More". I'm sure someone might tell you "My tortoise loves attention, scratching his neck and watching T.V."
aloha

I totally agree with you they are definitely a different species and require different care Its just so hard to watch America's Next Top Model without him lmao :p

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Marty333 said:
onarock said:
aloha

I totally agree with you they are definitely a different species and require different care Its just so hard to watch America's Next Top Model without him lmao :p
My torts are only exposed to quality TV like NPR and National Geographic Channel, Miss Marty...don't want to get 'em hooked on trash TV like Dancing With The Stars or NASCAR! :rolleyes:

And I no longer let 'em hold the remote, either... ;)

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Terry Allan Hall said:
Marty333 said:
onarock said:
aloha

My torts are only exposed to quality TV like NPR and National Geographic Channel, Miss Marty...don't want to get 'em hooked on trash TV like Dancing With The Stars or NASCAR! :rolleyes:

I'm actually training mine to get me beer from the fridge, but everytime I tell him to grab me one he says get your own........

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
onarock said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
Marty333 said:
onarock said:
aloha

I'm actually training mine to get me beer from the fridge, but everytime I tell him to grab me one he says get your own........

Yeah, I get that from Ptolemy a lot...and there's nothing worse than an Iberian with a snootful! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.