Okay I hit protein day early forr Stan.lee I bought croc chow from mazuri...

Kevinrrussell

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
The world we live in is awesome. Tortoise forum awesome..I hated feeding can food but one of you said mazuri croc diet. So feed store didn't ask question ordered 33 lbs at 50 bucks..not horrid in price but..red foot isnt 200 lbs...omg. my wife flipped lol...I have a three old and...and it's large chunks..omg...so as soon as I soaked it and dropped in...he went crazy...he attacked croc diet..he tore apart the food....he doesn't tear apart anything..but croc diet...omg

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Why would you use a food made for crocodiles? Am I missing something here?

daniellenc

Maryland
Can you post the nutritional label? I’m guessing it’s high in protein but wondering if it’s close to tort food at all.

Kevinrrussell

Michigan
Why would you use a food made for crocodiles? Am I missing something here?
Mazuri Croc chow...Calcium and potassium plus..protein is clean...I hated live food, cat food or dog food ..it's clean..Red footed tortoise have animal protein requirement. I can freeze it..but the bag is 33 lbs..it's a ton of freezer bags .

daniellenc

Maryland
I have a redfoot as well. He gets tortoise Mazuri 2-3 times a week which has tortoise safe protein, calcium, and phosphorus, shrimp once a month, mushroom once a week, cooked chicken here and there so I get the protein need. I’d just worry about ratios of calcium and phosphorus and other vitamins is all.

Kevinrrussell

Michigan
I have a redfoot as well. He gets tortoise Mazuri 2-3 times a week which has tortoise safe protein, calcium, and phosphorus, shrimp once a month, mushroom once a week, cooked chicken here and there so I get the protein need. I’d just worry about ratios of calcium and phosphorus and other vitamins is all.

Croc chow must be fish? Smells like it..Stan.lee charges it..she also love fresh cut clovers and dandelions. Tomorrow I'll give her Zoo med forest tortoise blend...I try to mix flowers, greens, fruit(mangoes), last treats like bananas, apples...one day week Croc chow...it dries out but still edible and she eats all of it...the zoo med forest blend dries out she doesn't eat it...next month I'll buy the tortoise blend zoomed ..mazuri tortoise blend I'll try..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Why croc diet they make tortoise food?
Redfooted tortoises should occasionally be fed animal protein. Mazuri is a trusted name, and the op worried about feeding cat or dog food.

daniellenc

Maryland
Don’t forget shrimp or chicken boiled! Mine is not into cat food but crushes plain chicken or shrimp.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The Mazuri tortoise chow that I purchase in BIG bags (red label)
Says "turtle,tortoise and crocodile food" on the bag...And actually has a picture of a croc on the bag. So I'll bet it's the same formula. Maybe a different sized pellet?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Says "turtle,tortoise and crocodile food" on the bag...And actually has a picture of a croc on the bag. So I'll bet it's the same formula. Maybe a different sized pellet?
I buy the same bag and it says "Turtle, Tortoise, and Crocodile Diets". It is just an advertisement that Mazuri make food for all these different types of reptiles. The Red Label on the bottom of the bag I buy says "Tortoise Diet and gives the formula - 5M21 - the percentages of protein, fat, and fiber. If the bag contained Croc Diet it would be the same bag, but an entirely different formula and the Red Label would indicate the percentages. The Croc Diet is 45% protein, and the Turtle Diet is about 40% protein. Pellet size is different too. They seem to use one bag for Reptile foods and change the Red Label to indicate which food is actually in the bag.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
But if you read the "ingredients" label, it only shows "tortoise diet" at the top

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is true.
Only the bag says TURTLE, TORTOISE AND CROCODILE. Not the label.
I once grabbed the same bag with the same picture on it, but with a green tag....The green tag said "water turtle" formula.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I buy the same bag and it says "Turtle, Tortoise, and Crocodile Diets". It is just an advertisement that Mazuri make food for all these different types of reptiles. The Red Label on the bottom of the bag I buy says "Tortoise Diet and gives the formula - 5M21 - the percentages of protein, fat, and fiber. If the bag contained Croc Diet it would be the same bag, but an entirely different formula and the Red Label would indicate the percentages. The Croc Diet is 45% protein, and the Turtle Diet is about 40% protein. Pellet size is different too. They seem to use one bag for Reptile foods and change the Red Label to indicate which food is actually in the bag.
Gotcha.

Kevinrrussell

Michigan
Don’t forget shrimp or chicken boiled! Mine is not into cat food but crushes plain chicken or shrimp.
Shrimp she loves.. but my wife lol...no seafood for a pet....I always shoot a photo when I feed her the shrimp to annoy my awesome wife..private joke is the sneaking of shrimp