Old cyst?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I introduced Eunice to the female members of my Russian creep yesterday, so this morning was giving her a thorough exam to make sure she hasn’t been injured overnight and noticed this:

1167AC73-229A-4D41-9A90-AD8A333C9F92.jpeg
I hadn’t seen it before because she had to fully extend our crane her neck for the excess bean-shaped bit of skin to become evident.

it’s not tender or hot or filled with anything… just loose, extra skin.

I was wondering if it might be the skin from a healed or drained cyst.

My instinct would be to watch it rather than go to the vet immediately, but I wanted to bounce that thought off of the TFO braintrust first.

Thoughts?

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had a very small abcess or cyst on my scalp. The skin doctor cleaned it out for me. But a week or so later I could feel a hard piece of something in that spot. Every day it felt it was coming out more until one day I was able to pick it out. It left a small hole that went away in a day, but what came out was similar to your picture and I figured it was the dried up sac that wasn't cleaned out completely.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
If it were me, I'd have the styptic powder handy and see if it picks off easily.
The tag is about 3mm and the connection point about 1mm... I pulled as hard as I felt I could with my forceps without running the risk of ripping the skin... I'm thinking about pulling it out with the forceps and snipping the connection with a pair of tiny and sharp cuticle scissors that I have, then dabbing it with styptic powder and triple antibiotic ointment.

Thoughts?

J

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
The tag is about 3mm and the connection point about 1mm... I pulled as hard as I felt I could with my forceps without running the risk of ripping the skin... I'm thinking about pulling it out with the forceps and snipping the connection with a pair of tiny and sharp cuticle scissors that I have, then dabbing it with styptic powder and triple antibiotic ointment.

Thoughts?

J
Since you don't know what it is (dead skin, old abscess, papilloma, etc.) and tort skin is fairly fragile and torts don't heal very fast, I would monitor it for a bit to see whether it changes--heals on own, gets bigger, etc. It might help to take a photo every few days.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I'm with most folks here. . .I'd just leave it, it does NOT seem to be causing any problems.
I would keep an eye on it. If it changes color, changes shape (gets bigger or irregular shape) or any other change, then I'd take action. Over time it may possibly fall off or just be a skin tag, that is nothing to worry about. My ¢2 . . .

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
if you have a good vet that can easily be snipped right off and then some styptic or silver nitrate can be used to stop any bleeding. those usually snip right off when they have a small base like that. just use sterile scissors or a sterile scalpel