Older redfoot refuses to eat

Jnics10

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
RmGmI
Hi there!

I'm a first time tortoise owner (I've owned other reptiles in the past--alligator, tree frogs, geckos, anoles, etc.) This guy just happened to wander into my yard and no one claimed him... He's about 12"x6"x6" so I'm guessing he's an older dude.

Anyway he's been picky since I found him. At first would only eat bananas then slowly got acclimated to other fruits and some grass, but still wouldn't eat his leafy greens. I tried the tough love approach about two weeks ago and he would nibble, but not much.

He hasn't eaten for a week now and even refused bananas a few days ago (he has never refused bananas). I'm keeping him well hydrated but I'm just wondering what else I can do?? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!!

--j

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome.

Can you tell us more about your tort's enclosure and lighting please as it's possible this is affecting his appetite. Photos of the enclosure and lighting will help us to help you.

How big is the enclosure and how long is your tort? Here's how to measure your tort's SCL http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

This is a forest species that needs a humid, evenly warm and not too bright environment. Typically people use a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) which doesn't emit light with a thermostat set to around 85F for heat and a separate tube UVB which provides light but no heat.

RFs are omnivorous. Do you feed your tort any supplements or protein? If so, how much and how often?

Finally, do you soak your tort? You should do so daily in warm water for at least 30 minutes while he's not eating.

Jnics10

5 Year Member
Chicago
His scl is about 12" and the enclosure is 4ft by 3ft

I don't have a pic of his enclosure, but he's in a large shallow tub with dirt, some grass, and a shallow dish for him to soak in. I flood the enclosure once every other day. I don't have a proper uvb lamp yet, but he's got a small desk lamp that he chills under and I turn off at night. Also no proper heat lamp but his enclosure is right on top of my heater. I keep the room around 75 degrees and have a humidifier.

I didn't know that I should be supplementing with protein... what do you suggest?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Earthworms, snails, pinkies, shrimp, eggs - lots of animal protein options out there. Mix up what you offer. Try Mazuri tortoise pellets too - they won't help with animal protein, but will fill some of the gaps you're missing by not getting greens in him right now - most tortoises really enjoy them.

You need night heat for this species - get a ceramic heat emitter or radiant heat panels for night time. He might be a little too cold to digest at those temperatures. 80F is a safer low, especially if you have a low appetite.

You need a UVB light too if he isn't getting outside regularly - especially if it doesn't look like he has any dietary d3 sources.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
His scl is about 12" and the enclosure is 4ft by 3ft

I don't have a pic of his enclosure, but he's in a large shallow tub with dirt, some grass, and a shallow dish for him to soak in. I flood the enclosure once every other day. I don't have a proper uvb lamp yet, but he's got a small desk lamp that he chills under and I turn off at night. Also no proper heat lamp but his enclosure is right on top of my heater. I keep the room around 75 degrees and have a humidifier.

I didn't know that I should be supplementing with protein... what do you suggest?
@Anyfoot are you about? Your redfoot experience would be useful here.

Your tortoise must have a bigger enclosure (at least 4'x8'), the correct temperatures and humidity, a good earthy and damp substrate and UVB. It seems to have none of these.

Flooding the enclosure is potentially disastrous. Redfoots are very prone to shell rot. They don't thrive in a wet environment.

Your tortoise is cold blooded and cannot digest food or be active without adequate external heat which it is not getting from a desk lamp.

Please read the following which provides good information on the care your tort needs
http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/species-information-2/chelonoidis/

You must sort this out very quickly or your tortoise will quickly become sick.