Olive the Redfoots Indoor Enclosure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Welcome to the group Khira! Feel free to start an introduction thread (for you and any torts) so we all can give you a proper hello.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Is the cover you use across the top of the tank the plastic sheets used to cover fluorescent lights? Is it strong enough to withstand the heat of having the lamps sit right on top of it? Seems like that would be a pretty inexpensive cover to maintain humidity in any enclosure, I like it :).

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Kadaan said:
Is the cover you use across the top of the tank the plastic sheets used to cover fluorescent lights? Is it strong enough to withstand the heat of having the lamps sit right on top of it? Seems like that would be a pretty inexpensive cover to maintain humidity in any enclosure, I like it :).

It all came as a complete set up it feels like a thin aluminum mesh type material though..

For those worried about the heat.. I did drop a light in but I had to lower the wattage as it got too hot but good to know for when it gets cooler that I can up it if I need too..
It's all still a work in progress it's still new so we are figuring out our temps and humidity every day to try and get it just right..
Here's a pic sadly Olive wasn't up for being in the shot she is in the half flower pot I have no clue how she squeezes in there and turns around so her head pokes out but she does.. (you can just see her tiny head to the very left corner inbetween a piece of sphagnum moss.. haha
IMG_5273-vi.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
What is that smoke from? Below the orange lamp???

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
How are you liking the repti-fogger?
I was thinking of investing in one but have read they can
sometimes cause more headaches than they're worth?

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Well they seem to work too well like when I had mine on the lowest setting my humidity without AC on went up to 99% and it was going through a good 3/4 of the bottle they give of distilled water in an 8 hour period (I was shutting mine down at 7pm)
Now I have it on a digital timer that has 8 on/off settings so it goes off for a half hour period every 45 minutes..
It's harder to keep warm temps with all that humidity but if that's not a big deal for you then I think they are good..
I know they may cause respiritary problems but so long as your tortoise can get away from it and it's not cold.
Olive has definately been more active with hers and her shell looks good all the time now before it would look dry and I was always misting her...
So yeah... we did make one with a $15 piece off ebay but after we got her new enclosure we splashed out on the proper one no difference if you can rig something up though..
I'm definately no expert on it,, my husband 'HAD' to get if for her.. I was not really wanting one either...

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the feedback Shelli.
I'm still sitting the fence on purchasing one.
Our house is an old farmhouse, hard to heat
so the warmth is a factor for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.