OMG!! I have seen it all now!!!! Live Turtles to Die in Keyrings??

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Other than go to China Town into the residential streets, where you will find many people selling turtles for food, or going to each end of the ferry, where you can find people selling little plastic bins with RES, and buying anything you can find and releasing them in your local pond, there's not much you can do Mark. It's been going on for years. Just like you can get any size turtle even though it's against the law, or any animal you want, if you have the money....nothing changes. Saying "it's against the law", means nothing, as I have found many times in the past.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
people with no feeling towards life , will do any thing to make a buck. these aren't kids doing this! maybe someone could seal them in an air tight bag,so we can see just what happens. lindy

Kalina

5 Year Member
Nothing surprises me anymore... People do some crazy stuff... I would hope there would be some law (even in China) about this kind of cruelty? But this is the same country that skins dogs alive for fur, so anything is possible.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
This is the same country that was asked to not sell dogs (as dinner) on the streets during the Olympic Games. Nothing surprises me after seeing that.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
From a discussion on another forum.
The life of an animal has no value in China. There are no laws to protect them, their lives are worth nothing. Subjecting them to unspeakable acts of cruelty is commonplace and it would seem deeply ingrained in the culture. Dogs and cats are skinned alive for the fur trade. To meet the demand for shark's fin soup thousands of sharks are caught, their fins cut off, and they're thrown back into the ocean to die an agonising death. Beautiful and intelligent moon bears are farmed for their bile, living a life of torture often in tiny cages with rusty metal catheters stuck into their abdomens. And that's just for starters. I haven't even mentioned the zoos or animal circuses.

Not that our country is as enlightened with its treatment of animals as one would hope...i.e. puppy mills, veal, slaughterhouses, etc.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Madkins007 said:
2. Getting upset at something happening on a fairly small scale fairly far away bothers me. For most of us, there is suffering and need on our own block or just down the street. If the issue REALLY bothers you, do something about it that is meaningful, helpful, and ideally, local (or, start locally, then help globally).

That is- there is not a ton you can do that is helpful for some poor turtles in China, but there is probably something you can do to help turtles in your town. Same for homelessness, hunger, or almost any other issue.

Such is MY take, but differences in opinion are what add spice to the world.

Yay Mark, the voice of reason! It's OK to be aware of things that are in your circle of concern, but save your energy for things are are in your circle of influence.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
RE: This is terrible! hope it's not for real

Sad if it is real!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
It's an Aldabra Kalina. He breeds them in Florida. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.