On their backs

solo3mma

My tortoise climbs the sides of its pen a lot and I've just witnessed her going onto her back. I waited a while to see if she could get herself over but it seemed she couldn't. I then put her on her side to roll over the rest of the way. I do go and check on her regularly and she has been on her back a few times and I'm not sure for how long. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Is she always on her back in the same place ?
Be especially careful she doesn't get flipped under her basking spot.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My tortoise climbs the sides of its pen a lot and I've just witnessed her going onto her back. I waited a while to see if she could get herself over but it seemed she couldn't. I then put her on her side to roll over the rest of the way. I do go and check on her regularly and she has been on her back a few times and I'm not sure for how long. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?
What species is it. Some seem to be able to self right and others dont. Climbing. Flipping and self righting seems an everyday occurrence for my homes hingebacks.
Also post pics of your enclosure so members can help with ideas.
Welcome BTW.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

You've got to sit and watch what is making your tort climb and consequently flip on her back. Oli kept flipping on his back for long. I sat and watched to find that he used to cling to a staple with his claws, and then flip on his back. I immediately got rid of it solving the issue thank GOD.