One baby dead one baby alive

Corbin kat

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
i just found my baby hermans tortoise dead this morning in the corner of his enclosure his sibling and him both seemed to be doing great but when I found him this morning he wasn’t responsive or breathing he was slightly titled up with his butt in the air which makes me think he got trapped during the day and through the night but im not sure if that could have done it but i have ruled out the husbandry personally i am new to tortoise keeping but not reptiles so please feel free to let me know if thats invalid my dead babies shell is soft rn but wasn’t soft or squishy when i had found him or at least not as much so his eyes are rn slightly caved in and really pale he also wasn’t acting weird the last time i was checking up on him which I regret now was Tuesday due to me not being able to be home and being tired Wednesday when i had come home i give them food mon/tue/thur/fri/sat there diet was a lots of kale and collard greens and some times a general salad mix that did have some spinach and lettuce which ik aren’t consistent things to feed but i had gives them a little the past couple weeks probably like 5-7 time’s total just because it’s what i had i also did put the im there water bowl twice a week to make sure they where getting water i am running a uv bulb and i had changed it recently (about a month ago) all i want to know is how I messed up i feel extremely terrible and responsible for this and I don’t want this to happen again i had been online all of today trying to find something but it’s been hard to find much mostly due to how i feel if i haven’t supplied enough information please ask me and ill tell you anything about them or there setup please feel free to be critical ik in a way this is completely my fault for not checking him yesterday i still have my other baby and I’ve definitely been checking him way to much his shell is nice and stiff and when i offer him some greens he comes running in they where both younger than a year and from my understanding from the same clutch im sorry for this long messy text but im just trying to understand why rn and if you have an idea id love to hear im gonna attach a picture of the dead baby’s eyes and a couple of the healthy one along with the enclosure and a picture of how I found himimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
This isn’t exactly how he was but a general idea and after feeling him again his shell is still ridged it’s just his belly which is soft

Corbin kat

Missouri
i just found my baby hermans tortoise dead this morning in the corner of his enclosure his sibling and him both seemed to be doing great but when I found him this morning he wasn’t responsive or breathing he was slightly titled up with his butt in the air which makes me think he got trapped during the day and through the night but im not sure if that could have done it but i have ruled out the husbandry personally i am new to tortoise keeping but not reptiles so please feel free to let me know if thats invalid my dead babies shell is soft rn but wasn’t soft or squishy when i had found him or at least not as much so his eyes are rn slightly caved in and really pale he also wasn’t acting weird the last time i was checking up on him which I regret now was Tuesday due to me not being able to be home and being tired Wednesday when i had come home i give them food mon/tue/thur/fri/sat there diet was a lots of kale and collard greens and some times a general salad mix that did have some spinach and lettuce which ik aren’t consistent things to feed but i had gives them a little the past couple weeks probably like 5-7 time’s total just because it’s what i had i also did put the im there water bowl twice a week to make sure they where getting water i am running a uv bulb and i had changed it recently (about a month ago) all i want to know is how I messed up i feel extremely terrible and responsible for this and I don’t want this to happen again i had been online all of today trying to find something but it’s been hard to find much mostly due to how i feel if i haven’t supplied enough information please ask me and ill tell you anything about them or there setup please feel free to be critical ik in a way this is completely my fault for not checking him yesterday i still have my other baby and I’ve definitely been checking him way to much his shell is nice and stiff and when i offer him some greens he comes running in they where both younger than a year and from my understanding from the same clutch im sorry for this long messy text but im just trying to understand why rn and if you have an idea id love to hear im gonna attach a picture of the dead baby’s eyes and a couple of the healthy one along with the enclosure and a picture of how I found himView attachment 353155View attachment 353156View attachment 353157View attachment 353158
This isn’t exactly how he was but a general idea and after feeling him again his shell is still ridged it’s just his belly which is soft
Is it ok to post this in another area if I receive no responses here?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i just found my baby hermans tortoise dead this morning in the corner of his enclosure his sibling and him both seemed to be doing great but when I found him this morning he wasn’t responsive or breathing he was slightly titled up with his butt in the air which makes me think he got trapped during the day and through the night but im not sure if that could have done it but i have ruled out the husbandry personally i am new to tortoise keeping but not reptiles so please feel free to let me know if thats invalid my dead babies shell is soft rn but wasn’t soft or squishy when i had found him or at least not as much so his eyes are rn slightly caved in and really pale he also wasn’t acting weird the last time i was checking up on him which I regret now was Tuesday due to me not being able to be home and being tired Wednesday when i had come home i give them food mon/tue/thur/fri/sat there diet was a lots of kale and collard greens and some times a general salad mix that did have some spinach and lettuce which ik aren’t consistent things to feed but i had gives them a little the past couple weeks probably like 5-7 time’s total just because it’s what i had i also did put the im there water bowl twice a week to make sure they where getting water i am running a uv bulb and i had changed it recently (about a month ago) all i want to know is how I messed up i feel extremely terrible and responsible for this and I don’t want this to happen again i had been online all of today trying to find something but it’s been hard to find much mostly due to how i feel if i haven’t supplied enough information please ask me and ill tell you anything about them or there setup please feel free to be critical ik in a way this is completely my fault for not checking him yesterday i still have my other baby and I’ve definitely been checking him way to much his shell is nice and stiff and when i offer him some greens he comes running in they where both younger than a year and from my understanding from the same clutch im sorry for this long messy text but im just trying to understand why rn and if you have an idea id love to hear im gonna attach a picture of the dead baby’s eyes and a couple of the healthy one along with the enclosure and a picture of how I found himView attachment 353155View attachment 353156View attachment 353157View attachment 353158
I normally don't answer when people don't use punctuation and form sentences, but you need some help. Please use capitalization and punctuation going forward so we can read what you are trying to say.

You are making lots of mistakes. They need water at all times, and they should be getting soaked daily. They should never be housed in pairs. Perlite, the little white bits in the soil that you shouldn't have used, will kill them.

Here is everything you need to know. There is a care sheet at the bottom with more specifics for your temperate species.

Corbin kat

Missouri
I normally don't answer when people don't use punctuation and form sentences, but you need some help. Please use capitalization and punctuation going forward so we can read what you are trying to say.

You are making lots of mistakes. They need water at all times, and they should be getting soaked daily. They should never be housed in pairs. Perlite, the little white bits in the soil that you shouldn't have used, will kill them.

Here is everything you need to know. There is a care sheet at the bottom with more specifics for your temperate species.
Thank you, im sorry i was trying to rush something out but I’ll definitely keep that in mind next time.

Reactions: Tom

Corbin kat

Missouri

Do you think him being in that position could have caused it? or would it have been impaction due to the perlite. i also do offer water at all times and a moist area, but ill soak him every day for now on. Also about the pairs should i have had another if i was going to have multiples. I don’t plan on buying more anytime soon i just want my baby now to grow up healthy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you, im sorry i was trying to rush something out but I’ll definitely keep that in mind next time.
Read through all that info at least a couple of times, and you should see where you went wrong and what needs to be changed. Also, have you verified that those plants are tortoise safe and not grown with systemic toxic insecticides?

Your questions and conversation are welcome. We want to help.

Corbin kat

Missouri
Read through all that info at least a couple of times, and you should see where you went wrong and what needs to be changed. Also, have you verified that those plants are tortoise safe and not grown with systemic toxic insecticides?

Your questions and conversation are welcome. We want to help.
I asked the nursery if they did and they told me that they don’t use insecticides, and i did check if the plants themselves where toxic. they are not one is a hibiscus the other is a hosta. Thank you so much for responding, and ill make sure i read through the article you sent a couple times before asking you anymore.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to the forum and make sure to act on all the advice that you have been given here. You want to see the little survivor thrive in your care!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry for your loss. No the position he was in would not have killed him.
Although you have a few things wrong, one also being diet, which needs to improve, it also could have just been a bad start from the person you got him from.
Read the link Tom posted for you and get things corrected ASAP.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for your loss.