One-block wall?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
My russian's yard has a wall of two-high cinder blocks.
I've been scheming, and I want to slip it up into different 'climate zones', and an underground hide, and heated box, and possibly make it predator proof for summer-long enjoyment.
I believe I can pull this off if I take off the top layer of blocks, dig down a little, and secure the dirt with extra wood for escape-proofness.
n.jpg

Would this be okay? I feel the extra 4'' added by the wood (12'' wall) would be tall enough to prevent any yard-wide explorations.
I'll cap the corners.
Opinions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why not dig down, lay wire and then bury part of the brinks to hold wire down. Then you won't have to replace it, as the wood would rot over a short time I would think, being in the ground.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Another suggestion, so you don't have to pull up all that you already have done, is to add an excape proof under ground extension/hide on one end.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Why not dig down, lay wire and then bury part of the brinks to hold wire down. Then you won't have to replace it, as the wood would rot over a short time I would think, being in the ground.
Ooh, you know what, I think Tom told me that too. I completely forgot. I have extra wire, too...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Pictures or it didn't happen!! (Serious though, post pics. Sounds great!)
Oh don't worry :D I want it down by the end of next week, since the rain is supposed to be clearing up, and he'll be going back out there.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I did NOT go through with my plan of having only one cinderblock and wire for the wall. I took one look at it and decided Elmo would be able to scale that in minutes!

0717151252b.jpg
Lattice isn't permanent, I'm creating a lid that folds over the edges...
0717151251b.jpg
This is the underground hide. At the beginning is an extra cinder block with weeds on top...the tub I used (rectangle Rubbermaid food container) slants downward.
Great idea, @Jodie :D
0717151252a.jpg 0717151251a.jpg
Sorry about the mess :)
0717151252.jpg
And yes, that is a frog in the water. They hop in and out on their own!
Pictures when I finish the lid.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Just my opinion is that 1cinder block high isn't going to cut it. I have 2 and I have occasionally found a couple that managed to climb over into the Ibera yard. I am now going up one more with a 2 inch cap on top so they can't fall into the interior holes.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Just my opinion is that 1cinder block high isn't going to cut it. I have 2 and I have occasionally found a couple that managed to climb over into the Ibera yard. I am now going up one more with a 2 inch cap on top so they can't fall into the interior holes.

Instead of putting on a 2 inch cap to keep the torts from falling into the interior holes you can fill the holes up with dirt and plant different things for them to eat.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Instead of putting on a 2 inch cap to keep the torts from falling into the interior holes you can fill the holes up with dirt and plant different things for them to eat.
I tried growing grass up there, just to see if it would work... It's a great idea!

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Great idea Carol! Just remember if you live in some parts of Az the concrete gets too hot and will kill the roots. I lost most of all my plants, therefore the caps, it's less work and cost less money.